• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem removing heatsink/cpu/thermal paste

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

koreiryuu

TL;DR: When my CPU was locked in its socket, the thermal paste bonded the heatsink so tightly that when I tried to remove the heatsink, the CPU came with it. Thankfully there were no bent pins, but now I have to do it again and I'm afraid it's going to be ripped out of its socket again and I won't be so lucky. Is there a safer way to remove a heatsink without pulling the CPU against its socket? The socket locking bar is obstructed by the heatsink, so lifting that to remedy the situation is not an option. It's an AMD FM2+ socket.

Long version:
This problem focuses mostly on the thermal paste so I decided to put it in the cooling forum; if it's in the wrong forum, my apologies.

Alright so I'm building a desktop, I am confident my parts work (like a moron), put it all together and the video won't display on the monitor. So going through an available checklist I found on Google, one of the things was I might have installed my CPU on a socket with a covering on it. I attempt to slowly, carefully remove the heatsink from the cpu, which is bonded by thick thermal paste, and when I finally get it loose, the CPU came with it.. The CPU that was locked in place by the socket was torn lose.. I check the pins with extreme scrutiny, which should be bent considering the situation, and they're fine.

So I put it back together after determining I installed everything correctly the first time, and same problem (no video); I determine the motherboard is bad because while a case speaker is plugged in, when the computer is turned on the motherboard won't beep. They usually make a short beep when successfully booted up, or long beeps when certain parts are missing (like RAM), so even with RAM missing, the motherboard isn't beeping. I've tried two separate case speakers, so I have to conclude I have a bad motherboard and need to RMA it.

Except now I have to remove the heatsink/CPU again, and don't want to rip out the CPU that's locked in its socket again. The locking bar is obstructed by the heatsink, so I can't lift that up. It's an AMD FM2+ socket.

Last edited:
I always give my HSF a few good twists that usually breaks the bond enough to keep the CPU from adhereing to the HSF.

I always give my HSF a few good twists that usually breaks the bond enough to keep the CPU from adhereing to the HSF.

I'll try that when I get back home, but the way the socket/HSF is set up, this bar on the HSF attaches to a plastic tab on either side of this plastic device next to the socket. I can't remove the bar from those tabs unless it's pulled above the socket about an inch, which prevents me from twisting it.

But maybe I can bend the bar with a pair of needlenose pliers and free the HSF, then bend it back to its original position.

Run the computer for a bit. Load it up. Heat up the thermal paste so it's not so dry. Then turn it off. Give it a moment. Then do the twisty and remove. Should be fine.

What cooler and cpu are you using?

I've only had issues with amd CPUs that come off with the stock heatsinks. Which you should be able to unlatch before removing.

You said "I might have installed my CPU on a socket with a covering on it." and "...which is bonded by thick thermal paste..."

I don't think the covering on the CPU would cause the HSF to stick to the CPU like that, if anything it would reduce it's "stick".

CPU Heatsink should never have "Thick Thermal Paste".

After you re-mount the CPU into the motherboard make sure to lock it down with the bar(you might have to pull the MoBo from the case) and as suggested above, rotate slightly. It doesn't take much rotation to loosen the paste. You can even slide it too.

Is there any chance that the "Thick Thermal Paste" is actually Thermal Tape? Not sure why AMD would use that on a CPU, but it would be thicker and much stickier.

What type of Paste did you use if it's not factory applied TIM?

Run the computer for a bit. Load it up. Heat up the thermal paste so it's not so dry. Then turn it off. Give it a moment. Then do the twisty and remove. Should be fine.

What cooler and cpu are you using?

I've only had issues with amd CPUs that come off with the stock heatsinks. Which you should be able to unlatch before removing.

+1

Heat softens the TIM and the slight twisting releases the vacuum seal affect

Wow, is it pretty much a given that this indicates too much TIM was used? Because I've never had problems like this when removing heatsinks.

Wow, is it pretty much a given that this indicates too much TIM was used? Because I've never had problems like this when removing heatsinks.

No, AMD uses a different clamp than Intel.
Old TIM will seal and stick, and can pull a CPU out of the socket.

Back