• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermalright cpu heatsink has a convex base on it, problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

QuantumCookie

Registered
Q: What do I do with this convex Thermalright heatsink? I think I should lap it flat.

So I have this new Thermalright ACP90-x45 cpu cooler, but it has this imo freakish convex base on it.

The Ryzen cpu I have, sitting now in the socket on the mobo, this cpu heatspreader is entirely flat.

I don't like the prospect of having this convext heatsink press on the cpu, and I think I should lap the cpu cooler base.

The cpu has a 'monolithic' core I read and so the cpu chip is at the center of the whole cpu.

Attachments

• wt.JPG
    wt.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 7
That is pretty steep. Must be an old cooler, and by old, I mean really old. 10 years at least.

Anyways, look at the IHS on your AM4 CPU. Look at the edges. It is like a bowl.

I would try it.

I will take another look at my Ryzen 7 Pro 5750G cpu. It did look really flat the last time I checked.

Many CPU heat spreaders are concave, i.e. the edges are higher than the center. Therefore, the convex bottom plat of the heatsink should match the shape pretty well.

I've got a Cryorig R1 Ultimate from a few yrs back & its dead flat in the middle & towards both sides but very slightly raised in the middle (opposite way).

Back