• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Freedom to hate

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I just put the disc in while in Windows and installed.

Here is a near about direction I took.

Both /Run Directories...

/Control Panel (Directories..)

And one NT key

This all stopped Windows from loading up.. If you know the reg, you know what keys I pulled out.

Other than that. I did not touch any other files. I tried to simulate a really crappy event that could happen in the user space. Via poor user control, virus and what not.

When I took out the program files keys.. it took Wubi too., I did target specifically to kill Wubi in a way. All of 5 minutes fun and it was broken.

I have one project I need to finish up.. I will peek at the drive under Linux and see what damage I really did. I should be able to examine what files are still there..

This drive was not updated from the pressing of the disc. I got it in .. oh.. 2005 or so. It had no reaosn to be updated, since I just brought the machien online for surfing . Due to my wife getting a Zune.

Hm. Yeah i reckon those keys would kill windows no problem. Did you verify that Ubuntu booted from the windows boot loader correclty before pulling the keys?

Yeah I did. I got a chance to look at the drive in Linux.
The bootloader shows it should boot. It has it's own entry and is there. The Unbutu folder is there and seems intact. I just couldn't get Ubuntu to boot after I screwed Windows.

I did expect it to do its thing and go around. I pulled a few drivers off a disc, and I am going do a repair install later on. See if that fixes it up.

I wanted ot be suprised that my theory was wrong.. Half way it is. Sicne there is two results going on. I am not 100% interested in this. Since your asking. I wil do some detective work and hook you up. lol I broke it like I wanted and showed it is not as robust as a real install.

I been really busy of late. So I am hit and miss bieng on this forum. It just seemed fun after all these years of trying ot fix Windows to go out of my way to break it. I will get back later and do some more digging. Just line up soem things I can peek at or do for you. I'll try my best to get at it.

What do you mean it's not as robuts as a real install? you keep mentioning Wubi itself when Wubi only has a small part in it. Did you break wubi before you installed it? If thats the case then this might explain why.

Wubi shouldn't be placing anything in the registry or anything. It's just a runonce application that does a full install of ubuntu on a virtual drive, and installs a virtual drive interpreter so that it can boot independently.

after reading this thread I had to try it.If it weren't for the wubi install option I wouldn't have bothered.So far it's decent enough(posting from it now).wireless works fine and for what i use this laptop for it works great.I don't know yet but maybe after playing for a while I might go for a full install.

Back