• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Cores vs Threads

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dj1992

Hello guys...I know that this topic is boring....but I just want to know the basic difference between cores and threads. the i7 has 4 cores and 8 threads whereas the i5 has 4 cores and 4 threads. Take an example. Suppose a multithreaded program is being run on both i5 and i7 (both speeds 3Ghz). i5 will run the 4 threads at 3Ghz right?? but what about the i7? will it run 2 threads on each core, meaning will the threads run at 3Ghz each or will they run at 1.5Ghz each? :screwy: Does a quad core with hyperthreading offer the same performace as a octa-core with no hyperthreading (assuming both are of the same architecture)? :confused:
Why aren't Intel making 8-core CPU's? Why are they sticking with 4 cores with hyperthreading? :-/

the threads are all capable of maximum speed, but the hyper threaded cores will only be about 30% as efficient as a true core

Core = phsyical on the CPU 1 thread for each core. When you jump into a CPU that uses Hyperthreading, each core can now work on two threads simultaneously. As Dejo mentions, the threads run notably slower than the real core/thread, but it is still much faster than a non Hyperthreaded counterpart.

Back