• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-s pencil vdd mod questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Milkman

Hey guys, I am about to perform the Pencil Vdd to see if higher chipset voltage will help stabalize my Fsb, I can run 240 easily but can boot into windows @ 255-260 so perhaps more will help, my question is I understand I will need to pencil the resistor, but how and where do I measure the resistance? I want to try a little at a time and am looking for 1.8v -1.9v on the NB, I have a large active sink on it so cooling isn't and issue,here is a Link to the article, if all works I will do the more permanent method later.

Milkman

I got it from the site I linked in my first post, I just measured resistance across the resistor and penciled it some and remeasured voltage set to 1.4 in the bios and got a 1.57 reading, so I figured that was good, gave me almost 1.9 when set to 1.7 in the bios:)

-Milkman

Ive done the pencil mod to all my nf7s and it has always helped both stability and speed.
I run mine so that set at 1.6 its really 1.94. I run it there but have the option to run higher if i think i need to test it. 1.9 to 1.98 has seemed to be the sweet spot for all the boards Ive run so far. This mod will help stabilize AND gain FSB for you.
Its been there on this board for around a year now, maybe longer.
Mind you i put a heatsink from an old processor from work on it.(came off the intel i960 cobra) Then i disassembled the Abit fan assembly and put velcro on the HS and fan base and stuck that fan on the new HS.

Wardog

I did that pencil mod on my NF7-S over a year ago. After I got an extra .2 volts with the mod. I dripped some clear epoxy over the resistor to protect the pencil lead. So it doesn't get wiped off and is permanent. I just measured it again recently and it is still exactly the same voltage.

You measure the resistance of the resistor, and check it after you add a lead to it. The lower the resistance the higher the voltage.

I can't recall what drop in resistance equated to in an increase in voltage.

Personally, Id check the resistance, drop it 5% and then check the voltage.

Thank you anyway, I was looking for that link when I was doing it but since the site was down I couldn't pull it up, anyway board is gone and off to A64 land now:)

-Milkman

yeah really them nf7-s are waist of time in my eyes.... sure back when it was mainsteam .. but all the time and effort and mods and tweaks .. didnt really gain that much ,, cause after it was all said and done i still wasnt happy and wanted more.. so sold and off to socket 939 ... best pc investment ive ever made ..

The boards are far from a waste of time, they are fast and very stable, it was the most stable Socket A board I have ever owned, I got a Dfi Lanparty and went back to the Nf7-s for it's stability, I only wish Abit had added the higher voltages and not me:)

yes true .. not a waste of time if you surf the internet...lol jk,..

but truly the teeent tiny gain yor get from doing that ... waste of time ..

great learning board though .. for all the volt mods and litle things you have to do to get it to run decent settings..

i had a few of the same boards myself.. its so easily changing bios setting now .. hehehehheh

Yeah the NF7 is an awesome learning board. I learned about everything on there, tweaking this and that. Flashing to over 20 BIOS's lol. Doing a vdd volt mod. Running 3 different ram manufacturers for the highest fsb. I was obsessed lol. Good thing I killed it or it would still be taking my money ha ha.

Ok, sorry but this is off track here, how do you link to a page or site like you did above with only the word showing? I have looked and searched every where to find out how and to no avail.

Back