• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ElimGarak

Registered
What happens with silver and nickel in the same system? I only know that it is extremely not recommended. If it really is a bad thing then I need to change my VGA cooler...

Where can I find PTNuke, or is Mayhem's Biocide Extreme an equivalent?

If I don't have a corrosion inhibitor, is that OK if all of my system is either nickel &/or copper? I chose to not get aluminum rads....

Silver and nickel are friendly with each other for the most part. What VGA cooler + it's materials have you concerned?

Use distilled water if you're building a custom loop. Add silver coil. You shouldn't need a corrosion inhibitor unless you're stepping outside of copper/plastic/aluminum/nickel world into steel/aluminum for instance.

Silver and nickel are friendly with each other for the most part. What VGA cooler + it's materials have you concerned?

Use distilled water if you're building a custom loop. Add silver coil. You shouldn't need a corrosion inhibitor unless you're stepping outside of copper/plastic/aluminum/nickel world into steel/aluminum for instance.

I was planning on DI water...I was also gonna put a silver plug and a kill coil in, but the MOBO and VGA are plated w/ nickel.

MOBO - http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2...SUS_M6I_-_Nickel.html?id=tIHkg59M&mv_pc=12986

VGA - http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2..._Classy_-_Nickel.html?id=tIHkg59M&mv_pc=12985

Rad is copper - http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...tor_-_80mm_Thick.html?id=tIHkg59M&mv_pc=12988

Unless you're going for crazy benching, you don't need to watercool the board. It's like watercooling the ram. It's a waste of money that can go towards more important things like an SSD, Ram, Video card, etc. Go with an EK supremacy or the new swiftech block and you're good.

No need for both silver plug and a kill coil. One or the other will do just fine. DI/Distilled water and one of the silver things and you're golden. Nothing will corrode ;)

Unless you're going for crazy benching, you don't need to watercool the board. It's like watercooling the ram. It's a waste of money that can go towards more important things like an SSD, Ram, Video card, etc. Go with an EK supremacy or the new swiftech block and you're good.

No need for both silver plug and a kill coil. One or the other will do just fine. DI/Distilled water and one of the silver things and you're golden. Nothing will corrode ;)

OK, how about the PTNuke? Is the Mayhem stuff the same?

But others here have stated that they put in a drop or 2 when they get everything together, just until the coil kicks in... I just don't want to gunk up my first build...

:welcome: to OCFs.

OP, all you need is distilled water and a kill coil or a silver plug.

As for corrosion, there is always a corrosive process but it is VERY slow as long as you don't have aluminum involved in the loop. Figure the aluminum is like pouring fuel in a fire, if you will. It will rapidly speed it up. Other than that, you should be good to go.

Make sure you read our yellow water cooling stickies to become more familiar with the basics and maintenance involved. We all gone through the process when we first started with H20. It truly helps.

Another question: what is the forum's preferred TIM (thermal interface material)? I did some poking around and couldn't find a clear leader (of course maybe I didn't look hard enough).

Elim, I used plain distilled water and a silver coil in the reservoir when I was liquid cooling. My system never had a single issue and required 0 maintenance for months on end. The only time the loop needed to be drained was when I was replacing or upgrading a component.

Back