• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Running 110 off the PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Caught up with Wagex yesterday, and actually got the monitor to run off a 12v Molex connector :) only after checking alot of volt reading to figure out where we needed to tie into, and after mr wagex had a "shocking" experiance we got it working :p he should have pics up sometime today

1442.jpg

1443.jpg
yea dont touch those, they dont feel good... i knew exactly what they were before hand... and after hand... rofl few hundy volts feels awesome through the hand... my 750vac/1000vdc multi meter wouldnt read these.
power bits.jpg
as you can see, i cheated and just tapped right into the main power capacitor as it was reading 12.2v it was a 470uf? 30?/50?v i cant remember now cap.... the LV are the other end of the transformer... though i could never get a proper reading off of those...
the 110/160v area was interesting... after the 120vAC went through thediodes and stuff it turned to 160vDC... that was weird...

Thanks again man for helping, really appreciate it, i was gonna end up jerry rigging it to work, but this made it alot nicer and safer for all my parts :)

LCD backlight inverter bits maybe, if it's a CCFL backlight.
They run somewhere in the thousands of volts.
Fun stuff, those, good way to wipe yourself out really.

Glad it works and everybody lives!

LCD backlight inverter bits maybe, if it's a CCFL backlight.
They run somewhere in the thousands of volts.
Fun stuff, those, good way to wipe yourself out really.

Glad it works and everybody lives!

Yea not sure if it was because that same arm was grounded or there just wasnt enough current just trying to checj the voktage on there would trip the protection circuitry for the cfl's.ive had worse shocks before though :)

the 110/160v area was interesting... after the 120vAC went through the diodes and stuff it turned to 160vDC... that was weird...

The 120V AC you read at the wall outlet is 120V RMS, you multiply 120V by 1.414 to get the peak voltage, about 169V peak voltage. From "+" peak to "-" peak, you get about 340V.

Back