• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bare Metal Hypervisors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wow, I'm really out in left field on this one, WTF is a bare metal Hypervisor, some Mad Max induced post-apocalyptic RAID device ???

Just kidding, I'll have to look it up out of curiosity.

Yeah, this MOBO will do ECC, but have never tried it out.
:cheers:

*edit* Interesting read so far, thanks for that.

And here is a good read on why you want to use ECC RAM on ZFS to get the best benefit of the filesystem and preserve data integrity.

Last edited:
It's got two built in. I'm adding an M1015 and SAS Expander so it doesn't have any more PCIe slots.

It's only for home (And I've been running most of my stuff from a 10/100 NAS and WiFi G) so even moving to Gigabit is a bonus from here =)

For SharePoint it's only a Dev and a single instance. I'll only have one connection at any time so I'm not going to flood the network =)

Have thought about it though - and I do have 3x Realtek Gigabit NIC's sitting there but without PCIe/PCI slots I'm likely out of luck.

If anyone has any suggestions on being able to add more I'm all ears! =)

Also - apparently SMB3 (Windiws Server 2012 R2) is amazingly fast. It's not fully implemented in *nix AFAIK yet

Ah I just looked at the manual. In most configurations it comes with a riser to offer a PCI-E 2.0 x8 slot. If you already have the M1015 and then a SAS expander, you will be out of luck adding any additional cards.

I have 2012R2 in a VM but I haven't played around with it too much. My 2008R2 VM is doing most of the work.

Need to read up a bit more on it thought of trying it myself over time but I can run only unbuffered and not registered on this thing to begin with, I believe.

Just had never messed with it.

Well not Im a bit late to the party on this thread. Love seeing more and more of us migrate to dedicated servers at home. I personally rock mine with Ubuntu Server 12.04, ZFS, WebMin, and a few other custom server bits.

2X 8 core optys, 32Gb RAM, 32TB disk in 2x6RaidZ2. since I got it up and running I will never go back to not having a beefalicious server to run all the niceties around the house.

Didn't you hear man, PC's are dyiiiinnnnnggggggg, no one will use one in the future!!!!!!!!

Had some ignorant twit actually say that at work the other day like they've been predicting for 15 years at least now, I just had to grin a bit :)

Of course he's a bit out there to begin with, still thought he could maybe run Mastercam on and ancient teeny micro notebook thing.

In 15 years, Intel may actually get their way and make it so CPUs are no longer upgradable thus making it less likely that people will have home servers. It is possible that we will have such internet speeds that all we have is dumb terminals in our house connected to the then-ubiquitous cloud

In 15 years, Intel may actually get their way and make it so CPUs are no longer upgradable thus making it less likely that people will have home servers. It is possible that we will have such internet speeds that all we have is dumb terminals in our house connected to the then-ubiquitous cloud

Except in Australia.
Our politicians are still in the 60's.

I've managed to get many of the parts (And borrowed an item or two for the attached pic) but it's ALIVE.

It's only got a standard stick of DDR3 in this pic to make sure everything is running but so far it's:

Motherboard: Intel S5500WB
CPUs: 2x L5520 Xeon's
Heatsinks: Intel STS100C

The RAM I will be adding is known compatible with this board.
8x Kingston 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC Reg CL9 DIMM DR x4 w/TS Intel for a total of 64Gb RAM.

That should be well and truly enough to do what I need with it.

So far I'm looking at 6 servers:
1x Domain Controller
1x SharePoint Apps Server
1x MSSQL Server
1x Fileserver
1x Squid capable box (IPCop, pfSense etc..)
And of course the Hypervisor - which I'm still undecided on. Potentially going with HyperV now as I have a copy of Server 2012R2 available which gives licenses for the Hypervisor and a host machine with no extra cost.

I need a SharePoint Dev environment (Software Assurance with work for this) which also adds to the needing Windows Server 2012.

That said - it'll run on any of the previously mentioned Hypervisors so who knows!? =)

View attachment 140408

SA is important, because your CAL's come for sql server, sharepoint, and server so you wont have to licensee them per VM

i doubt it will happen, enterprise market will be outraged.

allthough they are doing bga in certain applications such as the macbook series, and i think the new mac trash can maybe?

i doubt it will happen, enterprise market will be outraged.

allthough they are doing bga in certain applications such as the macbook series, and i think the new mac trash can maybe?

Enterprise isnt going to care. I have not been in a single company who EVER upgraded or otherwise swapped out the cpu. At most they upgrade ram and/or hard drive.

It will be interesting to see as things progress

Enterprise isnt going to care. I have not been in a single company who EVER upgraded or otherwise swapped out the cpu. At most they upgrade ram and/or hard drive.

It will be interesting to see as things progress

indeed it will! my only worry is if the unit gets too hot :shrug:

bad things happen when AC units stop pumping refrigerant for whatever reason. sadly, we dont have a BU unit so if our's goes the temp goes up! we still have a few S 604 hot plates still around which i'm trying to get rid of. once our budget gets in place i'll P2V them if we get more storage.

Back