• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Iwill MPx2, SLK-800, T-bred

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheDS

Here's an adventure I am considering undertaking (tomorrow at the computer show):

• Iwill MPx2 motherboard
  • dual T-bred 2200+'s
  • dual Thermalright SLK-800 with 80 CFM, 80mm fan (and add rheostat(s) myself)
  • Enermax 550W or Antec 480W p/s
  • Gainward Ti4200 (How can I say 'no' to a free RAM speed upgrade?)
  • 2 sticks of 512M, PC2700, CAS2 Samsung RAM, (registered?)
    [/list=a]

I have a few questions about this.
    1. Will the Thermalright SLK-800's fit this motherboard?
    2. Is that enough cooling (not counting other system fans)?
    3. Should I get a northbridge cooler, and if so, which one?
    4. Should I get a video card cooler, and if so, which one?
    5. Do the RAM chips on the back of the video card need anything extra to keep them cool, and if so, what's a good idea?
    6. Are these power supplies good enough, or should I get a case that allows two 300W supplies?
    7. Is this enough system RAM to be running Win2k?
      [/list=1]

I have a full-tower case and a 21" monitor to take full advantage of the video card. I can put in plenty of fans. Noise is not a big problem, but then, the rheostat(s) will help manage that.

I also intend to get a RAID5 card and 5-6 drives to take full advantage, but probably will not be doing that right away, and so that's why I wonder about the power requirements.

I will be using this computer mostly to surf the internet a little and write a couple letters now and then and play Solitaire.

:mad: :D :D :burn:

Just kidding! I'll be using it to run/render with Poser faster, play some heavy-duty games (like Civ3 and UT2003), and fold proteins. I also want to overclock it as much as I can, though I realize the 2200+ is not the OCer's choice. Still, 3600-4000 MHz would be a nice range. If anyone knows of a dual Athlon MB with a 1:5 PCI divider, that would be better, or if you know how to edit BIOS itself.... anyway, I don't feel like an insane number of crashes (any more), or having non-functional USB ports.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Worries? *****-slaps? :argue:

1. Probably, but it will be tight.
2. That is way more than enough cooling. Don't expect too much of an overclock out of this thing. Very few dual boards will do more than 150mhz FSB, and few have adjustable voltage. You'll do fine with some stock cooling or slightly better, even.
3. Does the MPx2 have a fan on it's NB HS? If not, stick a 40mm fan on it. Remove the HS, add some AS3 and put it back on. Like I said, FSB overclocks aren't ever that great with 760MPX boards so northbridge cooling isn't a concern.
4. Get a Cooljag 1U and stick it to the GPU with some AS thermal adhesive, or arctic alumina.
5. Get some little RAMsinks and use the AS thermal adhesive to stick them onto all the RAM ICs on the video card.
6. A single, 430+ watt PSU will work fine. I can run dual MP 2000+ CPUs and 4 ATA100 7200RPM drives from a 430W PSU, although it's a stretch and runs hot.
7. 512mb is enough. A gig is plenty.

Just keep in mind that extreme cooling, such as with a single CPU system, isn't necessary with a dual. Dual motherboards don't lend themselves to overclocking as easily...although I've heard some good things about the MPx2. But getting twin 80mm HSFs and 80CFM screamers atop them would be a waste of money, effort and your hearing. Also, they don't make Thoroughbreds in MP yet AFAIK...unless you're planning on doing the L5 unlocking method.

Good luck at the show...

Back