• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

blurry monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smudged

I think my monitor is on the way out. I say this because there is a patch in the centre of the screen which is permanently out of focus and each corner is also starting to look blurred.

It started when i left the system runninf PRIME95 for about 30mins this afternoon. When i came back the screen was like this.

I have tried degausing, turning off the mains power for 20 mins, adjusting the refresh, changing the resolution and colour depth.

It is a mitsubishi diamond Pro 720 CRT which is about 2 and half years old.

Anyone like to confirm my diagnosis or offer any answers?

Yeah soudns like the gun is out of alignment...

Check your OSD and see if there are any settings for screen focus. Mine at work has a setting called Miore, but adjusting it just throws it immediately out of focus...but maybe since yours is out it'll knock it in focus.

Deguassing may help as well...do it a number of times.

Depending on your monitor, there *may* be adjustment screws inside on the back of the cathode ray gun to adjust the focus.

However, this varies by monitor as to location and whetehr or not they're present. AND, opening up a monitor and messing around inside is not something you should do unless you are confident working with electrionics and know the principles of what can happen if you ground a big capacitor regardless of whether the monitor is plugged in or not.

Remember, the flyback transformers bumps the voltage up to the 20,000v range, so you don't want to play around in there unless you know what youre doing.

I was able to refocus an old DIGITAL brand monitor using the admustment screws on the cathode gun. So if its between throwing it away or opening it up to see if it has adjustments, then you may considering this if you know what you're doing and are CAREFUL!

Mike

Or somebody else in your house sneezed on the screen. hahahaha

My brother had a similar problem, but his was caused by his 100Watt subwoofer being too close to the monitor.

If you are going to open the monitor...be VERY careful....if it is plugged in or not it can be lethal touching a capacitator....I would never recommend doing this....only do it when you know the risks and know where EVERY dangerous part is...

I say cough up the extra money and bring it to a repair place...let them handle it...

Fired turkey anyone :eh?:

Spec

HaywirE said:
HmmmMMMmmMm.. i say its gone :O

Keep it, because it will rise back IN 6 Months.

Buy a refurbished 21 For 129

Www.softwareandstuff.com

They have a pretty bad rep on resellerratings.com (5.60 average).

On the other hand, TeamExcess.com has great prices and they test and categorize the quality of every part in their warehouse. They have a 9.40 average rating.

Back