• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Acer Predator xb323u gxbmiiphzx goes black for a second...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepi93

Hi all,

As the title says, my monitor goes black for a second, randomly, not often and I can't confirm that it happens only during games, but I'll keep monitoring. I'm wondering if it's the DP cable? My understanding is that this monitor comes with a DP 1.2 and the ROG Strix 2080ti is a DP 1.4? I have the monitor at 144hz and runing the latest NVIDIA driver. The GPU is not OC'd. The monitor doesn't turn off and comes from black screen state within a second or two.

I also noticed in NVIDIA settings under "adjust desktop size/position", it won't let me set the refresh rate to 144. It reverts to 240 each time. In the other settings, it allows me to set to 144hz and it stays that way.

I'm also using NVIDIA colour settings, with full RGB and 10bpc colour depth.

Considering buying a 1.4 DP cable but wanted to ask here first just in case.

Thanks.

EDIT: I've also done a monitor reset. Unplug all cables, hold power button for 10+ seconds, reconnect.

Last edited:
Just quickly looking it up, DP 1.4 supports 2560x1440 240Hz.....1.2 doesn't seem to....

try a different, and DP 1.4, cable.

EDIT: That said, I have a 28" 144 Hz Predator and it happens to me as well...though on the desktop. It seems like my monitor and the DP cable going into it are very sensitive to vibration. If I jiggle the cable on the back of the monitor, I can get it to happen. If you can do that, I doubt it's the cable.

EDIT2: I've also done a monitor reset. Unplug all cables, hold power button for 10+ seconds, reconnect.
I've never heard of that....I'd imagine it just resets to factory defaults though?

Last edited:
Just quickly looking it up, DP 1.4 supports 2560x1440 240Hz.....1.2 doesn't seem to....

try a different, and DP 1.4, cable.

EDIT: That said, I have a 28" 144 Hz Predator and it happens to me as well...though on the desktop. It seems like my monitor and the DP cable going into it are very sensitive to vibration. If I jiggle the cable on the back of the monitor, I can get it to happen. If you can do that, I doubt it's the cable.

I've never heard of that....I'd imagine it just resets to factory defaults though?

I can't get it to happen while jiggling the cable but the vibration might be something worth noting. These displays wiggle so much that as I type this, it's moving slightly. I'll make a mental note when it happens but I think I'll also get a 1.4 DP cable, seeing as how this one is 1.2.

Thanks for your help.

Just installed the new 1.4 DP cable and within the first hour I got a black screen for 1-2 seconds. They happen so infrequently though...

I'm now thinking it's a NVIDIA driver because last fall it didn't happen. I've had the monitor since last summer. Could this be it? I've also just installed the newest Jan 14th driver using NVCleanstall, basically unchecking most features of the driver. For gaming, it's working very well for me.

For gaming as in it doesn't flicker in games? If so, I almost wonder if it's caused by the card switching power modes and the new driver is acting up.
I'll have to keep an eye out to be honest. I'll reply back once I can establish a consistency. Before my previous post it happened as I turned on a movie on Crave TV.

Two of my Gigabyte monitors do this. Mine flash like they lost signal for a split second then show the resolution like they were just plugged in. There is no rhyme or reason to when they do it and only the two at my office do it. The home monitor does not which leads me to believe it is something like the driver crashing.

Same here... but there isn't an occurrence of a driver dropping in any log (on my machine). It also only happens with my predator, and not the other acer that sits next to it. I tried swapping cables... it's been through two different NV 3000 series cards (and 2000), two different chassis, swapped cables and ports... iunno....lol. Feelslike it's in the monitor, but if you're seeing it on Giga monitors...

.... are they higher refresh rate monitors, buy chance?

Feel like I should add, have a XB271HU bmiprz which is 144hz, and an LG 27UK670. Haven't had any flickering on either monitor with the new drivers. So if it's related to the monitor, it seems model dependent, not just manufacture.

It only happens to me when I sit down or stand up, lol... never while just sitting there. One monitor is 75Hz (doesn't affect) the other is the 144hz Predator.

Does anyone else use a ribbon PCIe cable (like for vertical mounts) or plugged right into the mobo?

Mine are straight to the motherboard with standard display port cables. The home monitor is straight to the 3080 also with display port, the flash doesn't happen there. No GPU risers on either.

Maybe it's a 144hz thing. It switches between 60 and 144 for a split second? As an example, sometimes when netflix is turned on and this is a known issue, the monitor will completely shut off and then come back on and that's because netflix doesn't like 144hz.

I still haven't figured out why mine does it but a new driver just dropped from nvidia so I'll give that one a try.

I just hope it's not a sign of a monitor beginning to fail. Maybe there's a firmware update for the monitor? I'll have to check.

Netflix plays just fine through the Chrome browser on my 144Hz monitor...Hulu...D+ all work.

Here's to hoping the new driver works, but... I've tried every new driver for over a year now and nada. If it's a sign of failure, mine has been doing this for well over a year through multiple GPUs...still going (fingers crossed).

I have not tried to reinstall the monitor driver so I'll do that later. I do remember this issue not happening last summer/fall. I feel it might be a Nvidia thing. I'm now installing my drivers without HDCP so we'll see how netflix etc behaves but crave/starz works just fine. Thanks for the ideas.

Ended up contacting Acer support last night and the technicial made me do a power reset and wanted to open a case to have the screen sent in for repairs. I have a warranty until Feb, 2024 so I thought this was a bit premature, and decided to let them log the case but no repair at this time.

Not sure what else to try/tweak at this point but I couldn't install the acer driver because Windows said it's already running a better driver (the generic monitor one). The only other thing I did since last fall is update the chipset driver and nvidia as they are released.

So on a long shot, do you have another DP capable monitor to try? If it also flickers that'll point back to the system side and you don't have to deal with RMAing the monitor.

I know for me, that isn't it...(surely worth a try for op). I have two monitors and the second (a 75hz acer) doesn't do that, period. I used the same port and cable. Whatever it is, it's in my 144hz monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back