• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommend a $400 set of monitors to match $100 sound card.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gputer

Registered
Hello, I am currently planning my first basic computer build and the only thing special about it will be the set of Bi amp monitor speakers I want to buy for it. I plan on running these of an ASUS Xonar DX sound card or other $100 sound card, I have not bought it yet so if there is something better for the price let me know.

I want to get the most out of my budget so what do you guys suggest? The only bi amp monitor speakers I have ever heard were my brother's Event Electronics tuned reference 6's. I was amazed by how loud and clear they were, but even more so by how much bass those 6" woofers could produce. He was running them off his Pc's motherboard. I mainly listen to rap/hip hop about 60% of the time and the other 40% is rock, alternative, dubstep, electronic, other.

I have looking at the M audio BX5d2's, BX8d2's, Microlab solo7c, and the audioengine a5+

Last edited:
I have the bx8d2s and the sub. They sound great. But they're not bi-amped and for a pc, nothing bi-amped is worth.

My mistake...but as you're not splitting the frequencies pre-amp...the sound isn't going to be any better than a good single amp with a good crossover.

And for reference, I use an E-MU 1616M.

My vote goes to the Audio Engine A5+ or Swan/Hivi M50w.

If you're as interested as you are in quality, I'd not opt for those. I'd stay with maudio as they offer balanced inputs.

I want to keep the set up simple so not having another device to mess with would be better. I want to keep it as plug and play as possible. Do you think that sound card would be worth it? All i will be doing is listening to music and not recording or encoding.

JBL LSR308 - Buy one, get second half off from this authorized retailer ($375 for the pair). Amazon Reviews. These have built-in amplifiers.

AUDIOTRAK Prodigy HD2 ADVANCE DE Special Edition - Pro quality 2-channel card with headphone amp. No special multi-channel simulation / "special FX" signal processing to tie down the card's capabilities within it's price bracket. Check my sig for the best op-amp configuration. You can get the op-amps from Linear technologies for free (as samples).

Audioengine A5+s are not worth the asking price.

How far will you be sitting from your speakers?

Last edited:
those jbl lsr308s only have xlr and 1/4" inputs, they are not rca. also that card is in south korea and I wold rather not buy over seas. I will be sitting maybe 2-3 feet from them. do you have experience with both the JBls and the M audios? I plan on building stands for them and having one on each side of my computer minitor.

those jbl lsr308s only have xlr and 1/4" inputs, they are not rca. I will be sitting maybe 2-3 feet from them. do you have experience with both the JBls and the M audios? I plan on building stands for them and having one on each side of my computer minitor.

No problemo.

M-Audio's BX series is decent sound for the money, but is definitely not pro quality.

I wouldn't sit closer than 3 feet from 2-way speakers with such distance between the center of the woofer and tweeter as the 308s have.

EDIT: How much clearance will you have behind the speakers?

Last edited:
Just get a digital amplifier/receiver and some good speakers.

+1

I have had nice sound cards, with nice amps, and nice monitors.

But I like my nice amp with custom speakers (none monitors).

Just run digital into nice map, and nice speakers. Lots of options out there. Great new egg deals on tower speakers if you have the room.

all of those things will take up a lot more space when I could just have a pair of monitors on stands.

I have no setup yet. I am planning a build at the moment. The only thing I have thus far is a computer chair and a large L shaped desk, however, I have been thinking about buying a dedicated computer desk to use instead of this one. The top of the desk sits kind of high and makes it a little uncomfortable when writing and reading. I have been looking into those JBL LSR308s and I have read good things and the price is also good.

before I got my monitors, I went to guitar center and tried a bunch out. I did a "blind" test, and to my ears the Tannoy 501's won for me. Ironically they were the cheapest :O

Very balanced sound, has good bass without being "Bass heavy". I like electronic music and heavy rock, so I love bass, but I don't enjoy it smothering the whole sound. Rokit's are "highly regarded" but htey were pretty overbearing on the bass side of things.

JBL's are pretty solid too.

Back