• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 6300 Results and Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BrSunshine

Backround-

I just finished my AMD FX-6300 build.This in a Antec DF85 full tower.I replaced all the 5 stock fans with Antec Tri-cools,2 fans for push and pull on the heatsink,but left the 2 top 140mm fans for later date.I want to get a decent oc using an AMD FX-6300 and a EVGA 560TI.I plan on upgrading to a 660TI soon to complete this build.My plan is running 2 separate "os" on this gaming pc. XP Pro 32bit & Win7Pro64bit.I had to slipstream achi drivers for xp,and have this installed on a 500G WD.After I get XP configured,I plan on disconnecting this drive,and Installing Windows 7 on an SSD.I have a WD 1TB Blue that will be used for storage,and a WD 1TB Black for gaming between the 2 operating systems.I will be using Windows 7 primarily on this pc,but when xp is needed,I will boot from the bios to access xp.I did not want a dual boot.I like keeping this separate.

Specs

Antec DF85
AMD FX6300
Gigabyte 970A-UD3
212 EVO
Evga 560TI
Corsair(2x4G)@1600mhz
Samsung 840 SSD 128g
WD Blue 500g 64mb
WD Blue 1TB 64mb
WD BLK 1TB 64mb
2 Lite-On DVD Burners
Corsair 750 watt PSU

Overclocking

It seems everyone has a different approach,with one goal,stability and temps.I heard the best way to oc fx chips is using the multiplier and voltage.The next key is a motherboard with a good power phase.This board has a 8+2 power phase,which is sweet for a budget board.The first thing I did was flash the bios with a non fx cpu to F7 for fx compatibility,to avoid problems.Made sure system posted with new cpu and installed all my parts.All green stuff in bios is turned off.ATM I only have xp installed with 1 hard drive connected.The first thing I noticed that fx cpu's do not play nice with temp programs.(ex)core temp,hwmonitor,ect... Core Temp shows a core reading of 5C,which is way off.I used AMD overdrive,which give false readings too,but does give an accurate reading of cpu core temp.It idles @ 18C.I also confirmed this in the bios.CPUID Hwmonitor gives some wacky readings too with fx cpus,but the cpu core temp is correct.I verified this in the bios.Hwmonitor shows most of my cores running @6c on idle,which is false,but if you use TMPIN2 in CPUID Hwmonitor,it it accurate for cpu core temp.So its really a question of were to look,and what to disregard .This was verified running prime 95,and cross referencing with amd overdrive to get max load temps.It also is accurate on cpu v-core voltage,so that helps.It took a few programs together to verify the most accurate readings,and some cross referencing in bios to make sure these temps are correct,but It posted and seems to run stable on present oc,so I can deal....

I have the 6300 oc @ 4.4g w/1.328v on cpu vcore.I ran prime 95 for 6 hours.Viewing the results it passed.18C-49C max temps.I'm happy with these results,and it seems I have a stable clock.I think 4.4g should give me decent fps in most games,as this is my only concern :)

I had Hwmonitor open running Prime 95.The cpu core voltage fluctuated on load,and maxed @ 1.360v.Assuming this is the correct voltage on load,should I subtract the difference? I know my idle voltage is 1.328v.Would the difference be the v-droop? 1.360-1.328 =.032 v-droop I have 3 options in the bios for LLC Manual,Auto,Extreme.I have it on auto,but would like to learn more....

I found some tips for tweaking LLC.I'm just a novice trying to learn.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1350667/amd-fx-6100-overclocking-help

I also need some good drivers for a EVGA 560TI.I have not upgraded to new drivers lately,so any thoughts here are appreciated.

Last edited:
post up some screenshots of cpu-z, three tabs, processor, memory and spd open.
hardware monitor open.
after 30 mins of prime 95.
what cooler are you running on the cpu?

post up some screenshots of cpu-z, three tabs, processor, memory and spd open.
hardware monitor open.
after 30 mins of prime 95.
what cooler are you running on the cpu?

I have a Hyper 212 evo with 2 fans for push and pull.Case has another 7 fans.

Attachments

• load.JPG
    load.JPG
    328.9 KB · Views: 1,641
  • idle.JPG
    idle.JPG
    327.8 KB · Views: 570
Looks nice and cool to me. I have the FX-8320 with Hyper 212+ and my temps are higher than that at 4.2GHz. Your temps seem about right for having the lower TDP FX-6300 and better 212 Evo heatsink.

FYI... I have the same motherboard as you. In HW Monitor TMPIN2 is the CPU socket temp and the package temps under AMD FX-6300 is your CPU core temp. So your core temp is maxing out at 32C which is very good. Lots of headroom there for more overclocking.

Thanks for the information.I was running a 'oc' amd 965 @ 3.8 w/1.37v for the last 6 months.The TDP on those cpu's are 125watts.Temps were 30c-50c.Lower in the winter,which is a great time to overclock.

I have the LLC in the bios set on auto.Lets say I take my overclock up to 4.6,should I set LLC to extreme to compensate for voltage drop.

*This is my 3rd 970a board.They all still run,and having a 8+ 2 power phase definitely helps for higher clocks.I wanted to upgrade to the 990 chipsets,but I have no issues on present board.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information.I was running a 'oc' amd 965 @ 3.8 w/1.37v for the last 6 months.The TDP on those cpu's are 125watts.Temps were 30c-50c.Lower in the winter,which is a great time to overclock.

I have the LLC in the bios set on auto.Lets say I take my overclock up to 4.6,should I set LLC to extreme to compensate for voltage drop.

*This is my 3rd 970a board.They all still run,and having a 8+ 2 power phase definitely helps for higher clocks.I wanted to upgrade to the 990 chipsets,but I have no issues on present board.

Heck... I have my LLC on extreme and my vcore is at stock. I still see some vdroop while I'm folding or benchmarking. I don't really know if it's necessary because I haven't tested for stability without LLC on extreme. I should give it a try though... it might lower my temps if I turn it down a bit. At any rate, I haven't seen/heard anything about LLC having a negative affect. Even with vdroop on extreme I still see my vcore drop from 1.4 to 1.36.

Back