• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad news for Crysis 2 :\

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That company will go to ruin.... They got hit hard with Crysis... now this.

Any facts why so? It would be cracked anyway. Halflife 2 code leaked and nothing. Doom3 alpha leaked and nothing. Why should Yerli family business fear any problems?

This will likely be frowned upon but...
The Author Neil Gaiman discovered that his books were being pirated and quite disgruntled, as any author should. But he also discovered that as his books became available for free in Russia, the sales of his books in Russia increased by a large amount. Confused but curious, he talked his publisher into releasing "American Gods" for free to see what would happen. Again, his sales increased. He considered it publicity and discovered that he did not lose sales by having his product "pirated". He also asked an audience one day, how many of you discovered your favorite author by having a book LENT to you? Almost everyone put up their hands. I am curious whether sales for Crysis 2 will be helped or hindered. Someone needs to do serious study and find out how these events affect overall sales of a product. I'm just curious.

Before reading this I wondered my self if this wasn't some kind of marketing scheme. Release a decent game minus a couple cool maps or neat features and people get addicted. Month latter release the full game with the the maps and features previously left out.. IDK it would be a risky move but I could see it working.

Ok I went underground and found some comments from this release.

the lighting is WAY better in hardcore. the game has mass effect-like lighting on actual lights. and beautiful Crysis lighting from the actual sun. i have two GTX 1024MB 460 FTWs in SLI, Core i7 @ 2.93 and 6GB of ram. i get 40-45fps on max settings. i'm positive it will be better in the full game because this is the beta build and it's very glitchy, and without DX11.

and
The good thing about this early build of the game being leaked is that it is still very unpolished! Meaning it is not actually the quality we will have in late March. This should help Crytek a little because it may prevent Pirates from being satisfied and may just leave them wanting the gold (finished product) release.

Things wrong with the pirated build that I noticed in 1 hour:

- Sound is buggy, voices are muffled and or completely muted. Only stereo is supported.
- DX9 only
- Limited graphical settings, you can only chose from presets
- Controls cannot be changed
- Random crashes
- Errors and pauses between cinematic moments and tutorial interjections
- Graphics are not optimized, no SLI

Even with all the flaws that come with an incomplete game, I still have a blast playing it! There are some drastic changes with the game mechanics compared to Crysis 1. For a moment I was thinking that this game may be tragically consolized as I was playing it. While some aspects of goodness are lost with the game being multi-platform; I found that once you get use to the controls and gameplay, you forget all about that. I will be pre-ordering it as soon as I get back from work today.

Also

As a PC gamer who has been purchasing games since they used to release them on floppy disks, and as a big fan of Crytek games (not fanboi), I went out and bought a 8800 GTS just so I could play the Crysis 1 demo. I have played the beta of C2 and after playing for about 30 minutes I've decided to wait until the full game comes out. We are simply ruining it for ourselves by playing the beta. The controls DO NOT SAVE, so you HAVE TO use the default control scheme, being a lefty, that is not much fun. The graphics overall look great, although the game play that I experienced seemed a lot more funneled and linear than Crysis 1. When I got to the 2nd level, I started shooting my shotgun and noticed the sounds weren't 100% there and that there were major sound bugs like Bleeps, etc. After firing my shotgun and hearing beeping noises, I decided that was enough and I would not ruin the game any further for myself. Deleting.

"Cevat Yerli: Effectively, if the game isn't an online game or multiplayer game--there are challenges regardless of what you do--the game can be cracked. The effort is to make it more difficult to crack, and certainly we're going to make it more difficult this time with Warhead.

But at the end of the day, I think our message is if you're a PC gamer, and you really want to respect the platform, then you should stop pirating."

This sums up that this guy is either clueless or too smart talking clueless garbage.

There is nothing wrong here - it was planned alpha leak with trimmed features.

If there would be real leak - whole engine source code + sdk + crysis2 source would find their way on internets.

Marketing noise much. ... and no linux version as usual :p

best DRM was in ARMA II. The game would have some sort of chronic decease and start bugging on its own as time passed. I think that would annoy people into buying the game. Though this is cool also.

best DRM was in ARMA II. The game would have some sort of chronic decease and start bugging on its own as time passed. I think that would annoy people into buying the game. Though this is cool also.

Yeah, its a peak of stupidity.

People completely without money or those who unable to run it with DRM (wine) - will eventually have it hacked.
People with some money, planning to buy it if its good - will conclude its bugged beyond recogition and leave it as junk.
People with loads of money to blow - will buy retail anyway and have their PC once more screwed by additional DRM infection and rich ground for conflicts, ultimately boosting the day of OS reinstallation.

This means publisher will gather less money than even without DRM.

And this in turn means - developers,unless they are outsourced, will get less salary. If they are outsourced - publisher will get less.

Nothing beats Delta Force 2 :)

You guys forget about the long downloading time... It is one day of satured network bandwith. I never downloaded any game but I wanted to give a try to crysis as I have never played to that game!

And I don't really care about the virus as I often format my HDD and I'll sanbox this game so Meh to malwares! :D

The last 2 post above me are taboo in these forums xD very funny

on topic

Who has said Crysis 2 will contain DRM?

The last 2 post above me are taboo in these forums xD very funny

No, mine is not taboo, I asure you. =)
Im not sure with nickname guy though...

Who has said Crysis 2 will contain DRM?

Judging from what Cevat claimed on Warhead - it will, maybe something pointless like AC2 had.
I don't know, they throw out huge amounts of money for protection which in turn requires me to get NoCD (it is legal, if I own the title AND have no other choice in order run it for example in wine) and only just cases troubles.

This way steam&co are way better as proprietary content delivery platforms, at least it does not mess the system and even works in wine. Or there is another small revolution expected soon: http://www.desura.com/polls/what-do-you-want-to-see-in-next-releases-of-desura-client

If they want proprietary development model, they should at least make sure the content does not break customers systems(which every single standalone DRM did before).

Last edited:
I went on a web site to see the actual crysis 2 torrent and most of the comments were.

I think i will pass this.
Developers that show some effort to make a good game for PC deserve it.
Probaly I will buy this game, but first I will download to see if my rig runs smooth.
don´t worry crytek, if the game is nice i will still buy it :)
The people saying ''This is sad, i will wait'' are pathetic, what's the difference between downloading it now and downloading later? it's both piratery, and both Crytek is getting no money, and both your playing the game for free. I'm going to try this now, but as soon as it comes out i'll buy it for PS3, i bought both Far Cry and Crysis, both after first downloading it, so i don't see much of a difference.
Ive installed and played game up to the third stage and so far games been running smooth with no errors or sudden black screens of death, Minus the crappy gun sounds your gun makes game and visuals are very nice for a beta. Running out of the x64 folder with no probs, getting 30+ fps on my rig. With settings put to advance.

CPU: i7 950 OC 4.0ghz
Video: GTX 460 OC 1g
RAm: 6g
system: Windows 7 64bit
Resolution: 1920x1080

And I, for sure, will buy it at soon at its released !

Text referencing a piracy web site removed. Do NOT post something like that again. -hokie

Sorry, still learning rules and such.

Last edited:
Downloading open source operating system is taboo?

No, I thought he referred to Windows.

[EDIT]

Found this:

There is a way to play on hardcore setting with the directx 11 features left out.

Here is proof.

gamer
crysis22011021119504663.jpg

enthusiast
crysis22011021119492844.jpg

Hardcore
crysis22011021119485846.jpg

The only difference I see between hardcore and gamer settings is that I see soft shadows and more reflections.

Last edited:
No, I thought he referred to Windows.

Not sure if you are aware or not, but Microsoft sells Windows in a downloadable form. I bought mine with the whole student purchase thing and then Microsoft sent me a Windows 7 download link. I am also a member of technet and I can download almost any MS operating system from there as well. Legally.

Unfortunately, I expect this thread will be locked soon as any discussion that has anything to do with Piracy, no matter how well thought out the discussion might be, is taboo here. Certainly that is the decision for the mods to make. I do wish, however, that we could have somewhere to have a rational discussion about the topic.

Unfortunately, I expect this thread will be locked soon as any discussion that has anything to do with Piracy, no matter how well thought out the discussion might be, is taboo here. Certainly that is the decision for the mods to make. I do wish, however, that we could have somewhere to have a rational discussion about the topic.

I don't think it will be closed right now. No one has crossed the line yet.

xD! lol those are not mine as you see, I got them from a comment in some website. I have a HD 5670, a 4:3 monitor and obviously can't do 40FPS on 1680x1050.

On Topic:

The majority of comments I see people display a worry nature for the PC industry, believe it or not. I've seen people saying, that this is bad and it will hurt the PC industry and more console ports are coming.

That's the 1st thing I thought also, I mean, unless this is deliberately done, other companies will begin to use other DRM models such as Assassins Creed II one or the like.

There is almost no difference between Enthusiast and Hardcore .... not even close to worth the near 20 fps loss. Seems to hold the same trend as the old Crysis games; give users false sense of 'needing' upgrades for the 'best' settings.

But maybe the final build would be better optimized and/or contain more visuals that aren't present in this one.

Back