• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 590 Dual GPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Not sure about anyone else but I personally have been waiting for this card.

I am very curious to see the full in detail specs along with reviews on how well it will perform.

The only bad side about this thing is the wait for a water block for it. . . .

I'm not quite understanding how this card will stay inside the PCIe specification... The 580 by itself has hardware throttling once the power draw reaches a certain point, how will this card not exceed (destroy) that level of power usage?

I'm not quite understanding how this card will stay inside the PCIe specification... The 580 by itself has hardware throttling once the power draw reaches a certain point, how will this card not exceed (destroy) that level of power usage?

Hmm that is a good question. . . :chair:

Reports are saying that they are Handpicking the GF100 chips for it. (lowest volt leakage). Rumor also has that in will be downclocked to keep it within power windows.:thup:

http://vr-zone.com/articles/report-nvidia-geforce-gtx-590-to-be-exclusive-hand-picked/11048.html

"The main intention is a PR stunt, relying on the halo effect.":screwy:

Reports are saying that they are Handpicking the GF100 chips for it. (lowest volt leakage). Rumor also has that in will be downclocked to keep it within power windows.:thup:

http://vr-zone.com/articles/report-nvidia-geforce-gtx-590-to-be-exclusive-hand-picked/11048.html

"The main intention is a PR stunt, relying on the halo effect.":screwy:

Typo? Last I knew it was using GF110 chips unless I am wrong on that.

But yeah they are all hitting on this "hand picked" thing pretty hard on all the tech reports.

Has anyone been able to find any leaked specs on this thing as to power usage and actual card size? I'm actually quite interested in it but I have specific requirements I'd need to meet and can't find the info for it.

Trying to find out ahead of time to save back the money for when it hits the shelves given it would fit my needs (specifically the rig in my sig)

The main thing that sad about it is that it is still 1.5GB mem per GPU So no Maxed out Metro in surround... :(

Good point, but I wonder how long till one of the companies dropping the 3Gb 580's mash that much extra on a 590 to make it the single board sli equivilant at 6Gb of ram.

Good point, but I wonder how long till one of the companies dropping the 3Gb 580's mash that much extra on a 590 to make it the single board sli equivilant at 6Gb of ram.

Probably about the time I'll get enough GPU penis envy to buy one :drool:... Any idea what we're looking at here? 699? 799? Can't be more.

Last edited:
Is the power use different better/worse with the GF100 vs GF110?

GF110 is more power efficient than GF100. They re-arranged the transistors for GF110 and used less leaky ones for the most power-hungry parts of the chip. There are several hardware sites with good power draw measurements, I believe xbit labs is one of the best in this regard, they measure actual power draw of the GPU, not system power draw.

It's not a huge difference between GF100 and GF110, but there is a clear improvement in efficiency in GF110.

Nvidia is no longer making GF100 silicon, so any new cards are going to be based on GF104, GF110 or later spins of the chip. I'm 95% sure this card will use two GF110 chips, but downclocked and possibly hand-picked. Don't expect it to be cheap due to this. One thing for sure, it will be fast.

Hopefully they put some serious power connector options on the card, and build a serious heat sink that could POTENTIALLY handle the heat of 580 clocks. Then give people an official volt tool like AMD did with the 5970 and just say "Technically we can't give you 580 sli on a card, but we can give you 580 sli lite and you can do the rest yourself" I'm sure anyone who would overclock would be throwing on a waterblock anyway, so its not really relevant.

And they should be going straight to 6GB of ram, the whole point of this card really is that its a single solution for multi monitor gaming, and you need more ram for it to do that.

Back