• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Evga GTX 780 Ti Dual Classified

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arazons

I go every 3-4 years and upgrade my PC. Typically I buy an OEM box and upgrade parts in it. I don't usually go for the best but the most budget conscious parts. I have also spent the last few years playing games on low to medium quality, I decided it was time for a change.

So I bought the (Evga GTX 780 Ti Dual Classified) a little over a month ago. I can sum it up in 2 words.

1. Beastly
2. Massive

It has knocked down everything I have thrown at it in maximum settings. I went from :facepalm: to :comp:

Now while I am an enthusiast in spirit this is truly my first unlocked system that I can tinker with in terms of overclocking. I am curious what peoples experience is with how this card stack up to the other brands / variations of the 780 Ti. What sort of frames do you guys get and are there any tips in terms of boosting the frequency and or voltage.

CPU - Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0 GHz w/ Thermaltake NiC C5 Cooler
MOBO - ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO
PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 WATT
GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Dual Classified 3GB
RAM - G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB DDR3 2400
CASE - NZXT Source 530
SSD - Crucial MX100 512 GB
HDD - Hitachi Sata 7200 1 TB

Welcome to the forum Arazons:
Yes that is a beastly card, I wish I had one. As for Overclocking is there a reason or just for kicks? I use Nvidia inspector, some use MSI Afterburner as far as software goes. The procedure is pretty straight forward add some core speed then test with something like Unigine heaven if it fails you'll need to add voltage and repeat. Same goes for memory only you'll see strange artifacts when you're too high and not all cards have the ability to add volts to the mems. Once you have found your max for bothe drop them a tad and test them together.

Thanks!

I am a frame rate junkie, but mainly just for giggles. They have this precision software that seems pretty straight forward in terms of adjusting frequency and voltage settings. But it performs great as is, so I have not started tweaking anything yet.

The Classified is basically king of the hill in NVidia world.

It used to be the Lightning from MSI, but the 7XX series of Lightning hasn't been as good as the Classified.
Asus can't even touch the Classified.

If you use the default limits in Afterburner it won't let you go high enough to damage that GPU on voltages.

The Classy is a nice card

Precision can be used as well

once you get your feet wet, if you want more you may want to grab the Classy tool and a strong BIOS, always overclock and flash on the LN2 BIOS

it helps with the OCP wall and few other things

you may want to grab...a strong BIOS, always overclock and flash on the LN2 BIOS

He's referring to the fact that the 780 ti classified (among others) have two bios' onboard, selected with a tiny little white switch on the card itself. The first bios is the regular one, and the second allows for slightly higher power target limits, etc. If you're going to flash a new, more 'unlocked' bios into one of those slots, use the second, more powerful slot to flash over and leave the weaker of the two stock bios' alone.

Thanks!

I am a frame rate junkie

Your frame rates can never exceed the refresh rate on your monitor. If you have a 60Hz monitor, you get 60 FPS. It's all really irrelevant. The human eye can't tell the difference between 30 and 100 FPS. Movies only run at like 27 FPS.

Your frame rates can never exceed the refresh rate on your monitor. If you have a 60Hz monitor, you get 60 FPS. It's all really irrelevant. The human eye can't tell the difference between 30 and 100 FPS. Movies only run at like 27 FPS.

24 I believe is what movies/tv are predominantly filmed in.
While I agree that at some point you lose the distinction, that distinction is definitely above 30fps.

They still film in 24 for a reason. Apparently the blur that causes is a little more "natural" to people. Maybe because that's what they're used to.
You go from action in a 24fps real movie to a 60fps synthetically rendered game, you'll notice the difference.
It's apples to oranges though, because we're all fine with 24fps movie filming, yet 24fps gaming isn't particularly fun for anyone.

What your eyes can see and what you feel with the flick of your mouse are two very different things. Frame rates matter to gamers.

What your eyes can see and what you feel with the flick of your mouse are two very different things. Frame rates matter to gamers.

Bingo. I have 60Hz monitors, but when racing I lock my FPS to 120.

If you have a 60Hz monitor, that is the max FPS you are really getting. FRAPS and other programs lie. The GPU's may be outputting more FPS, but the monitor won't display it. It can't display more than the refresh rate. That's why there are 144Hz monitors.

That's why people complain about 4K monitors maxing at 30Hz. That's not true. When Nvidia finally came out with a driver, my monitor will do 60Hz with a display port connection only.

If you have a 60Hz monitor, that is the max FPS you are really getting. FRAPS and other programs lie. The GPU's may be outputting more FPS, but the monitor won't display it. It can't display more than the refresh rate.

True, BUT that explanation isn't the whole story.

FRAPS isn't lying in the sense that that is really what the GPU is outputting, it's just that the monitor can't display past 60fps (let's stick with 60Hz monitors for this explanation).
So you're right, people aren't getting the benefit of anything past 60fps GPU output, BUT that's not the end of the story.

People gotta realize that yes, at the time, you're not benefitting in that game from anything past 60fps, but games down the road will be more demanding. Having frame rates above 60 don't benefit your current game, but they act as a "buffer" for future, higher demanding games.
If you get card 'A' that can play game 'X' at 60fps, game 'Y' down the road 6 months will be at say 45fps.
If you get card 'B' that can play game 'X' at 75fps, sure you're not getting the benefit of those extra 15fps, but 6 months down the road, game 'Y' is now at 60fps instead of 45fps. It's a power buffer.

So why it's important people understand that they won't receive any benefit from a frame rate above 60fps on a 60Hz monitor, they also need to understand that higher frame rates will help them maintain playable frame rates down the road as games become more demanding.

Nice GPU OP. I can honestly say my GPU has been a thrill as well. The OCing I can do on this thing is amazing to say the least, under water of course. When I was tweeking around I use the "Classy Tool" as well as the EVBot. You can't go wrong with either but the EVBot will let you go passed the 1.35v mark.

How are your OCs and I am curious, what RAM did you get with your GPU, Samsung or the other?

Back