• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Not able to access Samba on this computer..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kyij

I have been using samba from my main server for many months now without a problem. But I moved and let the fun begin.. :bang head

My network is currently as follows:

Cable modem -> Wireless Router -> Switch box -> Server/other PC's
.....................................................-> The odroid machine (with samba problems)

The odroid machine with has the samba connection issues can see all of the network locations but has permissions issues. I enter my name/password and it tells me to re-enter it over and over. These issues occur with XBMC and with the native file browsing w/ gui. This odroid runs Debian 7.6 as well as my Server does too.

This computer worked before, I believe with:

Cable modem -> Switch box -> Server/other PC's
..............................................-> Router-> The odroid machine (with samba problems)

But it stopped working at one point which lead me to change the config.

(Notes)
1. I have connected the odroid machine directly to the switch which also contains the server - so it is not an issue with my router.
2. I have replaced my original modem that acted like a modem/wireless router/switch with just a standalone version, problem persists.
3. I have restarted every machine on this network..
4. Every other wireless/wired computer on the network works without problem connecting to the share (with the same user/pass)
5. I have reinstalled the ROM that is running on the odroid device -> I have tried before running "apt-get update" and after.
6. You have to remember I was connected fine for 12 hours while I watched shows. When I went to use it the next day is when I had problems..? (all variables were kept same then).
7. I am able to connect to the share via FTP but most files are too large to be transmitted for streaming purposes..

I will keep working on this, but am looking for any possible help if you have any ideas. Thanks :clap:

Last edited:
Do the Samba logs on the server show any activity? Since odroid is linux, check for logs too.

I can not find the "logs" or at least they are not being populated.

I have set the "log level = 3" in the smb.conf but the logs still are not processing anything from this computer.

--EDIT--
Actually I may have to look through all of the logs.. I assumed it would be under the /var/log/samba/log.xxxx where "xxxx" is the machine's name or the local ip (nothing was listed there but it looks like some of the logs are logging.. hmm

Last edited:
I figured it out. It has something to do with my printer share I set up - I commented the lines and now it seems to work, give me 2 minutes and I will post what the lines were.

Code:
#[global]
#   printcap name = cups
#   printing = cups
#   security = share

#[printers]
#   comment = All Printers
#   browseable = yes
#   path = /var/spool/samba
#   public = yes
#   use client driver = yes
#   printable = yes
#   guest ok = yes
#   read only = yes
#   create mask = 0700

Awesome, glad you got it figured out! If your issue is resolved, please click Thread Tools, then "Mark as solved".

Awesome, glad you got it figured out! If your issue is resolved, please click Thread Tools, then "Mark as solved".

The problem was solved and I chaged my config to:

Code:
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   browseable = yes
   path = /var/spool/samba
   public = yes
   use client driver = yes
   printable = yes
   guest ok = yes
   read only = yes
   create mask = 0700
   printcap name = cups
   printing = cups
   security = share

Pretty much I got rid of the global variable and I am wondering if this will create any problems? I can still print fine, so?

thideras, I was just about to mark as solved but I would like to know if changing this variable is fine overall.

Shouldn't hurt anything. The global applies to all objects in the list, whereas the way you have it now only applies to [printers].

However, I don't use Samba to share printing. I leave it to CUPS.

Shouldn't hurt anything. The global applies to all objects in the list, whereas the way you have it now only applies to [printers].

However, I don't use Samba to share printing. I leave it to CUPS.

That is what I assumed. And I do use CUPS as well but I use samba to share the printer with my windows environment. Thanks for leading me in the right direction :thup:

You're welcome, and I'm glad you got everything figured out!

Back