• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I upgrade my GTX 570 but I don't game much :/

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pmap93

Registered
Hello :)

I'm upgrading my computer soon, and I will be spending quite a lot.

My CPU is a 1st Gen i7 with a MicroATX board from HP. Now I'm out of SATA ports, I need to change the mobo, but since no mobo supports the CPU I have, I need to change that as well.

I'm also thinking of having an SSD for faster Windows Start up. And some more ram

Since I feel I'll be a bit tight on budget. Should I upgrade my OC edition GTX570?

I don't game much, I usually play Free MMO from Steam eg Neverwinter, AION, etc

But once in a while I do try to play Crysis 3, BF3 etc when there are guests or alone, in Near Highest or Ultra settings. Like once or twice a week.

And I use 1680x1050.

I also do some video editing and soon drawing on a graphics tablet. Occasionally I also use 3DSmax for video editing effects, but not so good at it and use very rarely.

Any advice? :p

Sorry if that was long

$1000 is a pretty good amount to work with, can you list your whole system like in my signature?

Hello.

Processor: Intel Core i7 870
Motherboard: OEM Motherboard from HP
Video: Nvidia GTX 570 OC edition GIGABYTE
Drives: 1.5TB WD Black, 2TB OEM Hitachi drive from HP
Power: GIGABYTE 800W Modular PSU
Memory: 2x 8GB Hynix OEM RAM from HP
Case: Cosmos S Cooler Master

I had an HP desktop before that I wanted to upgrade, since the case was too small, I got myself a new case back then. Cosmos S.Because the GPU is quite small.

Now I want to upgrade 4 things mainly: :)

CPU to Intel Core i7 4790K
Motherboard to ASUS R.O.G Maximus VII Hero
Hard Drive with OS to an SSD (need help on that one :p)
GPU to something in 700 series.

But so far, I look a bit tight in budget, so..
Maybe i can or not get all 4 upgrades.

Which one do you think should be prioritized? :)

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Where do you plan on buying parts from?

You can save some money on the motherboard, this Asrock is great, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157500

For a video card, you can go go AMD (best bang for your buck) get a 270 or a 280, (r280 goes for around $250 on newegg) since you are only game at 1680 X 1050. But your current card is fine for what you are doing.

This SSD, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147248&leaderboard=1 is going for $150.

This cpu will do you just fine. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117372

Eight gigs of ram is more than enough, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231460

So far you would be at around $900.. If you plan to oc, you will need an aftermarket cooler.

I would get the following:

i7-4790K
ASRock Z97 Extreme6
250GB Samsung 840 EVO
EVGA GTX 760 ACX
2x4GB G.SKILL Ares 1866MHz CL9 1.5V

Sticking to i7 because of the video editing, the hyperthreading will show its muscle when encoding.
I had a Maximus VI Hero, the Z97 Extreme6 is superior in every way. And cheaper.
Added the RAM since you don't know speed/timings, and that can be a huge bottleneck if it is 1066/1333 with bad timings. (You can check speed/timings with CPU-Z, and it would be good to do that)

I would get the following:

i7-4790K
ASRock Z97 Extreme6
250GB Samsung 840 EVO
EVGA GTX 760 ACX
2x4GB G.SKILL Ares 1866MHz CL9 1.5V
I agree and if you want to save money since you don't game that much, you can just use the GTX 570 you already have. Though the GTX 760 will be a nice improvement and having the extra 1g of V-Ram assuming the GTX 570 is only 1g will be helpful.

I agree and if you want to save money since you don't game that much, you can just use the GTX 570 you already have. Though the GTX 760 will be a nice improvement and having the extra 1g of V-Ram assuming the GTX 570 is only 1g will be helpful.

Depending on the software being used for the video editing and drawing the extra CUDA cores in the 760 could be of extra benefit ;)

Sony Vegas 12 or 13, Adobe After Effects CS6, Adobe Premiere Pro, BlackMagic DaVinci Resolve, Adobe Audition CS6.

Those are the software I use for Movie editing :)

Depending on the software being used for the video editing and drawing the extra CUDA cores in the 760 could be of extra benefit ;)

One thing I don't understand is, my GTX 570 (on the packaging box) says 1280MB GDDR5.

But my dxdiag says:
4048MB. :shrug:

28k82zp.jpg

Another thing, I'm not so familiar with ASRock, other than they are good budget mobos :D but I'm not sure about the quality tho, But I always thought mobo should be always best since it is the backbone for every component. :-/

Asrock makes high quality boards. If you run gpz, you will see how much vram you have. If you are using the software you mentioned, 16 gigs of ram would be useful.

Use GPUz to see only the GPU's memory, the dxdiag window is showing shared system memory + vRAM.

As I said before, the Extreme6 is above and beyond the MVIH or MVIIH.
ASRock used to be a "cheap" manufacturer, but they are now making boards that are easily as good as any other company. It's just that they kept their aggressive pricing :)

i just rebuilt my system and i was planning on going for the EVGA classified, but after some advice went with the extreme6 and am really happy with it. i saved around $200 that i put towards a GTX780 hydrocopper.

i didn't like the colour at first and the features it had, but i think that was the left over EVGA drugs in my system telling me it was a junk board. realistically though i would have never made use of all the features the evga has. my only concern now is longevity, but only time will tell.

Back