• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What MB's Should I Research?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tank Geek

I just ordered an i9-13900K and next I would like to get the MB. I have built three PC's to date and always used Asrock MB's. I was thinking of trying an MSI or ASUS. I'm sure I want a Z790. My budget is $250 and I intend to use DDR5. I know this sounds strange, but I don't need a GPU because I don't game. Are there any boards I should stay away from or gravitate to?
Thanks!

I'm not really sure what to recommend up to $250, but the MSI Tomahawk series was always solid, and Z790 looks pretty good - $259 right now (promo price with free shipping). However, I wasn't testing it, so maybe you get a confirmation from someone else about this specific model. I haven't heard anything bad about any MSI Z790 mobo.

From cheaper mobos, Gigabyte Z790 was pretty good. I was testing only the ITX version of ASRock mobo and Steel Legend. Both were pretty good. In short, I haven't heard about any significant problems with Z790 motherboards. There are always little things to correct, that at least in this generation, is solved by BIOS updates. All have good enough power design, and features are usually not much different (at least comparing models at a similar price).

Back