• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xeon 45nm quad X3350 (same as Q9450) in stock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
These things are not going to be popular for overclockers. It just doesn't make sense to pay $350 for 12MB cache and 1333fsb. Its going to clock and run at the exact same temps as the Q6600.

Yep, I'd have to see some reviews and bench's before I bite on this one.. So someone buy one and do some posting..:)

Last edited:
What bothers me is that they take orders with the false pretense that they have the processors in stock and then turn around and send the email telling people that they are out of them. That is unfair and fraudulent business practices. They get caught doing this practice in a lawsuit they will get hammered.

One thing you must keep in mind before getting too worked up, is that the website which represents inventory at the company I work for and I'm sure many others is this: They are not "up to the minute" accurate. Most, like the one at my company, are only updated every hour. Unfortunately this does to some give the appearance of an out of stock item to be in stock for every customer ordering in the same hour that the last physical chip was ordered.

This does suck and is frustrating for those caught in that small window, but it's a reality and unless you have someone constantly processing the web orders, syncing those orders with those placed by phone, and constantly updating them to the actual inventory numbers, this is not a problem to be easily solved.

Hope this helps ease some frustration for ya :D

P.S. They cannot be sued for this. There is no law against selling out of your products. If they had in fact charged your credit card, that may be a different story.

P.P.S. Welcome to the forums :welcome:

Last edited:
These things are not going to be popular for overclockers. It just doesn't make sense to pay $350 for 12MB cache and 1333fsb. Its going to clock and run at the exact same temps as the Q6600.

My thinking exactly. That is why I went ahead with the Q6600 last week. I just couldn't see it giving $130 worth of extra performance.

One thing you must keep in mind before getting too worked up, is that the website which represents inventory at the company I work for and I'm sure many others is this: They are not "up to the minute" accurate. Most, like the one at my company, are only updated every hour. Unfortunately this does to some give the appearance of an out of stock item to be in stock for every customer ordering in the same hour that the last physical chip was ordered.

This does suck and is frustrating for those caught in that small window, but it's a reality and unless you have someone constantly processing the web orders, syncing those orders with those placed by phone, and constantly updating them to the actual inventory numbers, this is not a problem to be easily solved.

Hope this helps ease some frustration for ya :D

P.S. They cannot be sued for this. There is no law against selling out of your products. If they had in fact charged your credit card, that may be a different story.

P.P.S. Welcome to the forums :welcome:

They did in fact charge my credit card in both instances, only to receive the product not available email. There is no law about running out of stock, but there are clear case laws about advertising a product they do not have and pre-selling on the false pretense of having the product. I run servers and find hard to believe that the same software that allows them to enter 10 items on the inventory is not capable of detracting from the 10 items as orders are placed.

This practice is no more than bait and switch or in this case presale something they are expecting to receive soon.

Thanks for the warm welcome!!!

From what I'm seeing with my QX in Seti crunching, these Yorkies are going to have a bit of performance advantage over the Q6600's, clock for clock. My QX at 3700 is pushing almost 5000 RAC in Seti and I have a Q6600 at 3510 that is trying to work it's way over 4000 right now. I don't think either of them have peaked on RAC, but I look for the Q6600 to be lower on RAC than the extra 190 MHz would justify. I'm guessing a 5-10% gain in crunching speed due to the extra L2 cache on the Yorkie. The biggest problem will probably getting up to speed with the 8 multiplier, since the quads don't seem to be able to run very high fsb speeds so for.

does that thing have an 8x multi?

you guys know in april the q6700 (10x multi) is going to be $270 right?

what i was trying to get at was this - your going to have much less system strain using a chip with an 10x multi Vs. a 8x multi. even if the new x48 and 790 boards will run 500 fsb stable (on air) - thats still only 4GHz... with the q6700 the 10x multi means for 4GHz all you will need is - 400 fsb. more stable, prolly just as cool as your 45nm part @ 500fsb.

to me it's worth a little wait. intel can keep their 8x multi.

Most, like the one at my company, are only updated every hour. Unfortunately this does to some give the appearance of an out of stock item to be in stock for every customer ordering in the same hour that the last physical chip was ordered.

I was thinking about this also. Nashville does have a point, with the system being broken if it cannot subtract inventory from placed orders. Even when orders are placed over the phone, the representative most likely is processing the order on a pc. This should be automatic by now, I would think, even with the most basic POS(point of sale, not piece of ...) software.

again, I'll mention reading in custom PC magazine that the difference between the Xeons and Core chips are differently optimised pre-fetchers, they said that an identically clocked xeon was about 25% slower than the Q6600 in games....

this is the 65nm S775 xeon I'm referring to, but I wouldnt be surprised if there is a performance hit in desktop apps and games, compared with the Q9450.....

again, I'll mention reading in custom PC magazine that the difference between the Xeons and Core chips are differently optimised pre-fetchers, they said that an identically clocked xeon was about 25% slower than the Q6600 in games....

this is the 65nm S775 xeon I'm referring to, but I wouldnt be surprised if there is a performance hit in desktop apps and games, compared with the Q9450.....

Ouch 25 percent, that is allot. I hope for my sake that you are wrong.

I have been using Xeons for the last 2 years (3060s and X3210s) for everything from video rendering to gaming and frankly I have seen ZERO difference in performance. I have also used E6600s and Q6600s so I do have the background to compare.

I don't believe that for a second. I get very similar scores and FPS when i compare my x3210 Xeon w/ comparably clocked Q6600's.

25% is a lot. Do you have any documentation to back that up?

Do anyone know which motherboard i should get? I ordered one from Lagoon too. Which board will support this right out of the box? I don't have an extra cpu to flash the bios.

Guys, instocklocator.com is your friend :)

Linky

I'd pick on e up if I had the extra cash right now :) Those of you who said you've purchased one, could you please post some results when you get it?

I've got a pair of 45nm Xeon quads in my Mac here @ work, 2.8GHz, 1.6GHz FSB and 12MB of L2, unfortunately Macs don't allow for overclocking :( 24MB of L2 goodness though :D

Back