• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lappy 512mb 4200rpm to 1gb 7200 rpm

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
dvandervelde said:
An upgrade from a 4200rpm HD to a 7200rpm HD will be make a big difference. You'll feel it in almost everything you do.
That's very true but the downside is that it drains the battery faster so that is something to consider as well.

I am happy to say that for once my knowledge and experience can be of use. I upgraded both on my Sony Vaio which is my main machine and I can honestly say that BOTH make a huge difference, in their own respect of course. I had a 80GB 4200rpm and 512MB of ram to start with. The HDD was changed within a few weeks of getting my laptop and it's been a while but I can honestly say it makes a huge difference in game loading times, program loading times, and somewhat of a difference in PC startup.

Now onto ram, I recently upgraded my baby to 1GB of microDIMM ram. I held off on that stick of 512 because of the high prices, but I finally found a stick for cheap. What I've noticed; games DO run smoother, alot smoother than I would have suspected. I had my windows as streamlined as possible but despite that I DO notice the difference when I play UT2004 and HL2. Mostly in HL2 though. Firefox is another memory hog nowadays. I typically run 20 tabs so Opera is a much better browser in that respect as it doesn't use more ram when you run many tabs, but I still like Firefox. With 512 I had some lagging when switching between programs, and even sometimes switching between tabs. Not so with 1GB ram. Smooth as butter...well for the most part.

I'd say, start with a 7200rpm HDD, then move onto the 1GB ram. The 7200rpm drive is an amazing thing to have and it will only cost you a max of 10 minutes battery. In some tests the 7200RPM got better battery life than a 5400rpm seagate that was designed to use less energy than a 4200. GO figure. I can't find the review but it's out there on Google.

Hope this helps,
Emmanuel

well i replaced both ....

havent played around with it to much but so far it doesnt seem to be a big improvement...

ill do some gaming tonight and see if all my stutters have gone away ..

i bought 1gb (512mb x 2 ) corsair pc3200 so-dimm, and a hitachi 7200 rpm 8 mb cache drive ..

pretty good .... although id be happier with 2gb ..
i was able to increase my game settings to normal from low... couple settings i can get away with on high for some maps

Why don't you try a 5,400 upgrade then? Easier on the heat and battery.

Though it's contrary to what the fellow said in the 4th or 5th post.

And I'd upgrade the RAM to 1gb at the bare minimum, depending on your requirements.

I'd prefer a RAM upgrade over an HDD upgrade, but that's just me!

Back