• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone use a virtual drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-ninja-

Registered
I used gamedrive a couple years back, but it would not do dvd games. I just got power iso. It let me install Cyrsis through the virtual drive but would not play. Kept getting a Conflict with Emulation Software detected.

I thought power iso was supposed to work for dvd games. Does anybody know a good emulation tool for dvd games. Right now I am hooked on 3 games and it is a pain to keep switching the discs in and out.

I use daemon tools lite or Alcohol 120 on most of my systems (I hate changing Disks).

PowerISO is the only one that works in Windows 7 (Mojave ;)) though.

To OP: That's copy protection acting up. Utter bull****.

Beware of the newer versions of daemon tools. They install crap on your computer, want it or not.
Read the installation prompts. Completely able to opt-out, unless you did something like this (he was unable to opt-out due to how he set up his IE, and the installer went :confused: and skipped the opt-out question).

He started a thread about the problem a while back, there are two pages of prompts to opt of IIRC.

I never had a problem with it installing anything I did not want installed, and I have installed it twice in the last 4 weeks.

I use Alcohol 120 for my games/apps/OS discs. I havent yet found a disc that it wont image and emulate. I keep a digital and physical copy of all of my discs. For one it makes it easier to quickly load a game, and also makes less of a chance of scratching the original disc.

To OP: That's copy protection acting up. Utter bull****.

Read the installation prompts. Completely able to opt-out, unless you did something like this (he was unable to opt-out due to how he set up his IE, and the installer went :confused: and skipped the opt-out question).

Seems like that's exactly what happened to me. But I see, it shouldn't be a very common problem.

I just tried daemon tools, still got the same emulation error and wouldn't let me start the game.

you can also check out gamecopyworld they have some stuff that helps with the virtual drives.

I'm not entirely sure that this is valid discussion, especially since the modified files violate the EULA of every game they belong to. I understand fair use and all, but this sort of breaks the rules here. Or at the very least is getting REALLY close.

I just tried daemon tools, still got the same emulation error and wouldn't let me start the game.
Copy protection is messy, all I have to say. There are tools out there to "hide" virtual drives from Securom et al, but I leave that up to you. We're getting into non-discussable territory here.

I use Magicdisc to run virtual drives. It is a very simple, bloat-free utility. It has problems running some games though, since they detect the emulation. It's very annoying to have to switch cd's in and out to play games...such an antiquated process.

You are right. It really is an old process to have to get up and switch cd's to play a game.

Yes I sound very lazy but com'om, it's the 21st century.

If you buy a game and it is legit, you should not have any problems switching games, without having to switch cd's I do not give my games or programs to my friends. I see in the future downloading games instead of buying them in a store, will be a much better experience and more profitable for the gaming manufacturer.

In case you guys don't know, many of these titles use SecuROM 7.x for "anti piracy" protection. SecuROM will not allow you to use any drive emulation software:

"Disk Drive emulator and some debugging software will also cause the launch of the game to fail and a security module error to be generated."
- Source Wiki

So it isn't your virtual drive software, its your games. If you want to use these particular titles with virtual drives installed on your computer you'll have to get cracked executables for them.

is windows 7 really mojave??

heh heh No just my take on the situation. Been playing with Windows 7 for about a week, and so far it feels like a broken Vista install with some GUI nice GUI changes.

I guess I will have to put a caveat in my sig. Since this is not the first time someone has pointed this out to me :p

i use Daemon Tools myself, but beware, i have downloaded copies which my virus protection detected Viruses in them. so scan w/e program you dl before you install it.
i use Alcohol 120% to make images of my games (as i hate changing discs as well) and Daemon Tools to mount them.

I use images because my dvd drive is noisy and, it's just plain annoying. Images ftw! :santa:

Back