• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Multibit: Can't establish loopback connection

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
So in effort to reduce network bandwidth usage, I need a new wallet.

For reference, I do have my BTC address on blockchain.info, but it only reports ~ 0.27 BTC, while my Bitcoin-core wallets reports 0.31 BTC. :shrug:

Anyway, I decided to try Multibit since it doesn't require blockchain downloads.
That should help reduce bandwidth usage.
Except one issue:

multibit.PNG

Multibit is allowed in my firewall, as is all java.exe and javaw.exe programs.
(Since I noticed it used Java)

Anyone else have this issue? I have not found a solution for this.

OR

Is there some other wallet that doesn't need huge downloads?
20Gb/month is all we get, and I have to share it with 3 other family members :-/

Thanks guys :)

Well I have no idea why Multibit doesn't work, but I was able to get Electrum working.

So I'll be using Electrum for my Bitcoin wallet needs.

Not quite solved, I'm still curious as to why Multibit refused to work.

multibit has been having some issues lately, id avoid
always used electrum here, love it, never an issue and quite fast
armory is of course most secure, but heavy heavy stuff, takes tons of time and space too

Another vote for electrum here. I really like it, and I like that I can run it on multiple machines for the same wallet.

Why do you need a new wallet? I would just not run the application until you need to check a balance or complete a transaction. That is how I do it.

Why do you need to leave a wallet 'run'?

Why do you need a new wallet? I would just not run the application until you need to check a balance or complete a transaction. That is how I do it.

Why do you need to leave a wallet 'run'?

2 reasons:

1: I prefer to have my wallets running becasue when I open it, there goes my internet. Slows down becasue it has to download the blockchain.
(Probably my router. I'm working on buying a new antenna)

2: Either way it'd have to download the blockchain to see my transactions, so I see no point in closing it. It just means I have to wait for it to sync to see my current balances, where as if it's always online, insta-transactions.

Of course, that's irreverent now as I was able to get Electrum running finally (yay! :bday: )

So for my BTC wallet, I now use Electrum which doesn't need a ton of bandwidth :thup:

So I guess that Multibit is just having issues then lately, like ZL1 said. :-/
I guess the dev team is 1: busy fixing it or 2: don;t care about it.

I do not see any problems with it (I'm sure they exist, just with my usage patterns I don't see it)...I check it like every other day or so and leave it open for a couple minutes, then close it. It takes literally 5 seconds to see it sync up with updated values.

So, again, why do you NEED this to be running constantly? Seems like you don't?

"A watched pot never boils" :p - just don't have your wallet run 24/7. ;)

I do not see any problems with it...I check it like every other day or so. It takes literally 5 seconds to see it sync up with accurate values.

So, again, why do you NEED this to be running constantly? Seems like you don't?

Why? Simple. It takes literally 10 minutes to sync with the network if I shut it down and open it back up.

That's why I leave it running. Saves time vs opening it up to check balances.

Nope. That makes sense... But I still wouldnt leave that thing open...there are also other ways to check your balance quickly on the web too.

Anyhoo.. glad you found something that works for you!

Nope. That makes sense... But I still wouldnt leave that thing open...there are also other ways to check your balance quickly on the web too.

Anyhoo.. glad you found something that works for you!

Yup. Electrum works great now that I got it running :D

Back