• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New firmware for Crucial M4 - 010G

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
http://www.crucial.com/support/firmware.aspx

Release Date: 09/25/2012

Firmware for the Crucial m4 2.5” SSD is being updated from version 000F to 010G.

The m4 is updatable to this new firmware starting from any previous version in a single step.

This is an OPTIONAL update for any drive in the field. It is only recommended if the end user is experiencing an issue related to the following items.
Do NOT use any other m4 firmware update for your 2.5” SSD such as the 01MG firmware for the mSATA form factor.

Version 010G includes the following changes:

- Improved Trim response time
- Improved power-on-to-ready time (known as POR, or TTR for Time-to-ready)
- Improved resume-time from low power modes, and improved reliability of warm reboot
- Improved power consumption by disabling HIPM (Host Initiated Power Management)

Same here, no problems since updating to 000F and they're in RAID so won't update without some swapping around.

I still didn't try it but maybe I will update my drives in next days.
I think there is still issue with backplanes on 000F so maybe at least this will be fixed. I will check when I find some more time.

I just went to the site to have a look and noticed they had updated it currently its all working nicely on 000F so I might not update to be honest, only issue I ma having is if I put my PC to sleep manually it wont boot into windows just shows a black screen and white flashing _ mark in top left corner, I hit the reset button I then get 2 options to wipe the restore point and do a fresh boot which works.

Below are the full notes to the update seems to really benefit Windows 8 mostly as in TRIM time is cut down

Firmware Release Notes

Firmware for the m4 SSD is being updated from version 000F to 010G. Firmware 010G is optional for anyone currently running 000F, as it includes incremental improvements and refinements over these versions, but recommended if the user is experiencing issues with the current firmware. Firmware version 010G includes improvements which are specific for Windows 8 and new UltraBook systems, although Windows 7 and other operating systems and computer platforms may also see improvements. Any m4 firmware version will function normally in Windows 8. However, the following improvements were made to meet new certification requirements for this operating system:

Improvements for Windows 8

• Improved Time-to-ready (“TTR”) after a clean powercycle. TTR is now less than 850 milliseconds for all capacity points. A “clean power cycle” is defined as a power off and power on sequence which follows a STANDBY IMMEDIATE command sent by the host and acknowledged by the SSD. STANDBY IMMEDIATE is typically sent during a normal operating system Shut Down.

• This change also improves resume-from-sleep time to
meet new Windows 8 requirements.

• Trim response time is reduced from 50ms to 20ms
(typical).

Power consumption improvements for some notebook
computers

• HIPM (Host Initiated Power Management) is no longer supported. In some notebook computers HIPM can interfere with the SSD’s ability to get into and stay in low power modes using DIPM (Device Initiated Power Management). Using DIPM alone is the most efficient method to conserve SSD power.

• SATA pin 11 (Device Activity Signal) is electrically isolated from the host when the SSD is in low power modes. This eliminates a potential leakage path which could draw unnecessary power while the SSD is in sleep or hibernate.

This does not affect most computer systems.

Last edited:
I flashed my 3x M4 64GB to 010G and made RAID0 on LSI controller. So far no problems with drives for last 2 days.
I don't know if it's drives/firmware issue or just my board but controller couldn't wake up from sleep mode 2 times when I left pc inactive for longer. I never use sleep mode, just forgot to turn it off after fresh system installation so I'm not sure if it was happening on older firmware too.

I don't think that anyone will notice difference in TRIM's work. On M4 even when drive is "dirty" then is working quite fast and GC was also improved in some earlier versions.
It's good that Crucial is still improving these drives.

Ditto. Had to flash mine back because of intermittent drive detection.

Strange how it causes issues for some and they havent tried to pull it off or fix the issues I aint going to update because its working fine at the moment.

I haven't updated my M4 because I have found more info on the current issue with the latest version 010G firmware, it would seem that if your motherboard has a UEFI BIOS then dont update as it would seem this is causing the main issue.

I haven't updated my M4 because I have found more info on the current issue with the latest version 010G firmware, it would seem that if your motherboard has a UEFI BIOS then dont update as it would seem this is causing the main issue.

So pretty much every modern motherboard out there?

Seems like it as most do use the UEFI BIOS set-up still don't know why its available for download and they haven't even tried to fix it with a new one

From the sound of the update notes, this was released so the m4's can have official Windows 8 support. Only thing interesting I see here is improved TRIM support, although yeah I doubt I will notice any difference, but a performance improvement is an improvement :p. As a Linux and UEFI user I might wait it out a bit to see if a more complete update comes out.

From the sound of the update notes, this was released so the m4's can have official Windows 8 support. Only thing interesting I see here is improved TRIM support, although yeah I doubt I will notice any difference, but a performance improvement is an improvement :p. As a Linux and UEFI user I might wait it out a bit to see if a more complete update comes out.

Surly Crucial wouldn't leave it they have I always thought they had good customer support for there products

The new firmware is out

Firmware Release Notes
Firmware for the m4 SSD is being updated from version 010G
to 040H.

Firmware 040H is recommended for anyone currently running
010G or previous firmware releases. It includes incremental
improvements and refinements over these versions which
may improve the overall user experience.

Like firmware version 010G, version 040H has improvements
over versions 000F and earlier which are specific for
Windows 8 and new UltraBook systems, although systems
running Windows 7 and other operating systems may also
see improvements. Any m4 firmware version will function
normally in Windows 8, even without these performance
improvements.

The following is a summary of changes between 010G and
040H, which are independent of operating system:

• Improved robustness in the event of an unexpected
power loss.* Significantly reduces the incidence of long
reboot times after an unexpected power loss.
• Corrected minor status reporting error during SMART
Drive Self Test execution (does not affect SMART
attribute data).
• Streamlined firmware update command for smoother
operation in Windows 8.
• Improved wear leveling algorithms to improve data
throughput when foreground wear leveling is required.

* An “unexpected power loss” is an event where a power
loss occurs and is not preceded by an ATA STANDBY
IMMEDIATE or similar command. STANDBY IMMEDIATE is
a system-level command which alerts the storage device
to an impending loss of power, or entry into low power
modes like SLEEP and HIBERNATE. STANDBY IMMEDIATE
is frequently not sent in a power loss event such as an
unexpected loss of power connection, an expired battery,
or holding down the power button for 4 seconds or longer.
Although the new firmware significantly reduces the risk,
unexpected power loss events such as these could result
in a longer than normal reboot on the next power up. On
the other hand, a standard shutdown in a Windows or Mac
OS system will send the STANDBY IMMEDIATE command
before shutting off power, allowing a clean start up when
power is restored

http://www.crucial.com/support/firmware.aspx

Well I updated to the 040H Fimrware update and its gone well so far I tested my drive and got these results problem is I have misplaced the 000F ones

Attachments

• SSD TEST.jpg
    SSD TEST.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 113
Back