• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First PC stick with stock or go WC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jben04

Registered
Just looking for some opinions, currently all my pc parts for my build are coming in,just waiting for the processor.

Then started reading up on water cooling and all that.My though is,would it be better to install somthing like the CORSAIR Hydro Series H55 instead of the stock heatsink that comes with the processor?
This would be the first time that i would be messing with this type of cooling.

Well, are you planning to OC?

If you are - then you can go WC or Air Cooled. CM CM212+ can get you decent OC's while costing half of the H55.

If not - then stick with the stock cooler.

Things have come quite a long ways now that watercooling has become so mainstream. Prior to things like the Asetek/CoolIT models most people used heatercores from cars and other industrial radiators or a Swiftek kit.

A cooler like the H55 is so passe' that most people do not consider it "water-cooling" in the traditional sense as it neither requires an aquarium pump or an external radiator and the plumbing to connect it. Ive used it a number of years ago and it was very much plug and play compared to my traditional w/c setup.

If you intend on overclocking you ought to make sure your processor is cool enough to do so. Most of the time the stock cooler wont cut it beyond very basic overclocking

Did you want to get into actual watercooling?

We have plenty of links to check out if you want to get into it for information:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=628092

Just keep in mind to take your time and read everything, hell, read it twice! Better to be sure about what you are doing and/or need than to get a leak due to something as simple as failing to leak test.

http://martinsliquidlab.org/ is a great place to have bookmarked as it is very informative.

With this being your first PC build, I'd suggest something easy like an aftermarket air cooler or an All-In-One water cooler if you want to try some overclocking. The stock cooler is meant to handle the CPU at its stock speeds and voltage, so overclocking with it won't net the best results.

If you think you may want to build a custom water cooling loop sometime in the future, then maybe go with a good performance/$ air cooler for now to save some cash.

Thanks for all the info guys,, i wasnt planning to over clock yet ( if at all), but still bought the CPU and MB knowing that i may change my mind later down the road.
I did have the CM 212 evo my build list, so when i do decide to OC ill just install it lol.
I just figured i could maybe go the water route.

There's debate on that being an actual "water route". If you are actually going to go with a cheap AIO, the H100i would be the only one I would go with, but keep in mind it's pump is prone to failure. They tend to be unreliable and you will be recommended a good air cooler such as the D14 or TC14, unless you want to get into water cooling (Not an AIO unit).

You have a k-series, I say overclock :) Get the most you can out of it!

If i did go the water route id have gone with a AIO.
Dont think id want to get full into water cooling , the idea of leaks,water and components has its concerns.
So the CM Hyper 212 evo might be the way to go, ( or the D14 / TC14,) least if i install it while im building my system i wont have to install it when i did ever OC. '

Last edited:
For the price, see how far you can take your chip with that 212 Evo, it is EXCELLENT for its price.

Key to your question isn't being addressed so far, that key is noise. If you want silent or near silent, nothing (within reason) will beat a custom water loop. Been in computers over 35 years and have just in the past 1-1/2 or so built my first custom loop. I will never go back, it is simply... Are you ready... The cats meow (us old guys get away with this stuff)!

That said, it takes some dollars, study time and a reasonable degree of thinking power. If you lack in any one of these, might be better to go with a nice air cooled rig. Done that since there was an aftermarket for them.

Water is for me though, so I guess you need to choose what is for you.

Good luck.

-Rodger

Forgot something... I am typing this as I set here at 5.17GHz on my fully water-cooled FX-8350 rig. I can just hear the 11 fans and 2 water pumps slowly turning... Nice and sweet!

Last edited:
I don't mind a little sound from the PC,so keeping that in mind, reckon i'm gonna go for a fan.
If i'm going to the water route ,id want to do it properly,so no rushing into it.
Lets make sure i build the pc properly lol,,, i mean its not difficult,only thing im weary about is applying the TP :shrug:

Look at the new cooler master glacier 240l its awfully close to the swiftech h220:p, and will give you the option of expanding to add a gpu to the loop in the future

Well, if you do go AIO, from my results. Since i have a AMD Phenom II X4 965, the stock cooler@stock speeds, on idle, itll be from about 39-44c at ambient temp of about 63-75c and this wasn't too long ago either, usually when im gaming, itll be around 50c-55c. Decided to go with the H100i on black friday and the idle temps now are around 27-30c@stock speeds, When overclocked to about 3.8ghz-4ghz, running prime95, it would reach about 40-42c on default mode.. Just something i thought you should keep in mind, your results might differ if you choose to go AIO, my computer has pretty good airflow i would say, if i had money i would test out the Noctua cooler also, but i don't :( just my 2cents.

Aftermarket Air is easy; although those huge towers tend to be heavy... so there is SOME hassle.
If you dont want to go full custom water, then the Swiftech/CM Glacier is the best thing outthere. Not only is does it offer the ease of an AOI for starters, it also allows relative easy expansion later on. And the best of it: it uses a REAL copper radiator.
(if you read up on watercooling, you find out why that is important) :)

Here is my take. If you have no plan to oc it, I would still get a high end air cooler. It cost a little more but provided you more head room for future overclocking. High end air cooler can get you up to 4.5Ghz with good temp. If you plan to pushing it hard 4.6-5.0Ghz, you want custom water cooling.

Back