• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

installing windows vista??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stiffler69

well now that its on dvd. and i booted from it. i dont want to loose my current files from this OS which is xp pro. now how can i go about going and installing vista without loosing anything? someone says dual boot? well how do i do that? does vista do that on its own when i start installing it or what?/

thx a lot in advance

if you only have one drive with one partition and you don't want to lose anything then you shouldn't be messing with it.

I'd find an old hdd and install it on that.

I really di not want to partition my HD...so I installed it as is..This is what the isntallations does.. It installs WinV, Moves your old Documents and settings, program files, and Windows installation(s) into a folder called old.windows. I have not lost any of my files, I have 1 harddrive 1 partition just like you.

yes but you have to get a subscription to msdn, you could've gotten an invite like me but microsoft isn't accepting new applicants anymore.

Rozal said:
I really di not want to partition my HD...so I installed it as is..This is what the isntallations does.. It installs WinV, Moves your old Documents and settings, program files, and Windows installation(s) into a folder called old.windows. I have not lost any of my files, I have 1 harddrive 1 partition just like you.

so u can still open ur old stuff like videos and stuff u had on ur old windows os (xp) ??? and nothing has dissapeared yet?

That's a bad idea...a beta of a new OS is buggy enough...but add onto that the proven bugs and poor performance of upgrading from one OS to the next is pretty bad.

Why do you want to install a unstabel beta o/s - likely illegal anyways

will be nothing but problems for you.

^^ i hate u!!! i want a beta..lol - sorry i am so used to people having illegal copies i do forget about the legit people :(

it is likely unstable because it is a Beta like any other Beta before it, there will be bugs, drives that dont work / exist, programs that wont function properly / work at all.

i can understand the curiosity to see what the next best thing will be like :)

ur accusing me off having a illegal copy of it? what gives u the right to say that? do u know me? is there proof of me using illegal software anywhere on these forums?

Stiffler69 said:
ur accusing me off having a illegal copy of it? what gives u the right to say that? do u know me? is there proof of me using illegal software anywhere on these forums?

No, there's no proof, but you're going to tell me you guys paid $200 to sign up for an MSDN subcription to be a part of the Beta? If you you did, hat's off to you, but read the NDA again. PLEASE DON'T POST ASKING FOR HELP HERE!!! You know you're testing the rules and you know that you're not supposed to post anything about how it works. If you bothered to attend the webcasts or be a active participant in the beta, you may have noticed the references to this...

(which answers your question BTW)

MSDN site said:
If you install the Beta 1 version of this product on a computer that already has an existing operating system, Setup will not remove the previously installed operating system from the boot menu. The previously installed operating system will still appear to be a valid choice on the boot menu, but it might not start. This release of Windows Vista versions of Windows does not support a multiple boot configuration with versions of operating systems prior to Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 (SP4).

The best way to try out Vista, is to get a Second Harddrive, or partition your current drive. Thats what I did when I wanted to install it, I have Vista and XP dual booting with no problems at all.
Oh and its not $200 for a MSDN subscription, its around $2,100-$2,900 Depending on what you want to beta test. Ive been part of MSDN/Technet for close to 3 years now.

perhaps you missed

sorry i am so used to people having illegal copies i do forget about the legit people

On that note - is there any proof you are using legit software - no, so that argument is mut.

the way i see it is if you are an official beta tester - you would be asking these question on the MS beta site which you would have access to and be able to get answer likely better then on OCforums, i just find it odd that SO many people come to an overclockers forum to ask questions about a BETA O/S that was "leaked" and almost right after it was leaked alllll these people have quesitons.

Osirus said:
The best way to try out Vista, is to get a Second Harddrive, or partition your current drive. Thats what I did when I wanted to install it, I have Vista and XP dual booting with no problems at all.
Oh and its not $200 for a MSDN subscription, its around $2,100-$2,900 Depending on what you want to beta test. Ive been part of MSDN/Technet for close to 3 years now.

I mentioned the MINIMAL subscription price. If you want the full subscription, it's $2800. I've beta tested Whistler, Memphis and Janus. I passed on Longhorn/Vista because I don't have time to effectively submit the reports and troubleshoot the beta's anymore, and when I read the NDA at the time I didn't notice anything different from the previous versions. The majority of Technet has always been accessible to anyone. MSDN is an entirely different matter. If you really want to get into a p**sing contest, I've been an MSDN since 1997. How long you've been part of the program means absolutely nothing. The legality of it remains the same though out. You shouldn't be posting asking for help here, you should be posting in the Vista newsgroups helping them complete the product. That's what you agreed to do when you chose to beta test the product.

Last edited:
CrystalMethod said:
I mentioned the MINIMAL subscription price. If you want the full subscription, it's $2800. I've beta tested Whistler, Memphis and Janus. I passed on Longhorn/Vista because I don't have time to effectively submit the reports and troubleshoot the beta's anymore, and when I read the NDA at the time I didn't notice anything different from the previous versions. The majority of Technet has always been accessible to anyone. MSDN is an entirely different matter. If you really want to get into a p**sing contest, I've been an MSDN since 1997. How long you've been part of the program means absolutely nothing. The legality of it remains the same though out. You shouldn't be posting asking for help here, you should be posting in the Vista newsgroups helping them complete the product. That's what you agreed to do when you chose to beta test the product.

I know, Im not 'asking' for help here or anything like that, I was trying to help someone else out. And I'm not trying to get into a pi**ing contest with you.

I would suggest doing a separate partition, although I had to create my partition via Partition magic in XP first.

I got mine though my job. My boss has a membership, but couldn't give a crap about beta testing anything, so he lets me test what I want on his behalf.

This whole 'probably illegal' thing is childish. I don't think that you can prove one way or another that anyone using any software on this forum is legit, just as much as I can or cant prove that any of you did or didn't steal the keyboard you are typing with from your friend's grandmother's house. Unless you are going to bring up this point every time someone asks help for any software, lets just answer peoples questions and not make blind speculations on if he/she obtained the software in a legit manor.

I will right now say that I download software and use it. If I like the software, I buy it, if I don't, I delete it and try something else. I see it as a trial version that is not hampered by a trial version license. IMO it is no diffrent then trying one grape before buying a bunch you like. I have bought lots of software that I would have never bought if I didnt try it out first.

Back