• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How long do your Operating Systems last? (reloads)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How long do your Operating Systems last? (reloads)

• Matter of weeks

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • 1-2- Months

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • 3-4 Months

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • 5-6 Months

Votes: 18 12.2%
  • 7-8 Months

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • 9 -12 months

Votes: 16 10.8%
  • Year +

Votes: 77 52.0%
  • Does imaging count?

Votes: 6 4.1%

• Total voters
About half a year, or so. I start to feel "bogged down" so I just reload it. I have all my hardware drivers on a bunch of CDs I burned, so it doesn't take too long.

Every 6 months or so. It is usually due to a hardware refresh, I tend to swap out video cards about every 3 months and after two swaps I really want to re-do everything.

Windows-as long as I can, as long it ain't broke.

OS X- I've reinstalled it 2 times in the last year, not because it needed it but for going from single boot to dual boot and back. Now running VMs (Linux, windows) guests on OS X host.

Linux- whenever I decide to try something new, or when I've broken it beyond repair.

Nice poll EW.

Depends what PC, but my personal rig I format about every 6 months. (now)
With XP I reinstalled about every month. Now that I am on Vista its every 6, although to be honest, thats more a left over of XP reformatting, then a need to do so. I have switched mobo and vid cards and everytihng and Vista still runs well.

Although. I just reinstalled last week, and am going to be doing it again real soon, because I am making massive changes to the houses pc's.

1 month if it is lucky. I'm usually swapping boards/cards/other hardware, so re-installs are just convenient.

I build a OS to exactly how I like it (gaming rig), custom tweaks, OCsettings, games, etc. I defrag, clean registry, cut all my process down to minimal.

Then I take an image. I go along with my OS 'till it boggs or the like...I slap in my boot CD and reimage, I get to keep the same CD keys (no DRM issues or limited installs) everything is already set up and ready to go drivers, favorites, all the settings I set when I took the image, and I'm set....the reload image only take 25mins and I'm back to square one ready to go and everything set.

I stopped reloading while back..casue I hated reinstalling all drivers, tweaking the OS, reinstalling game using up my limited keys all the jazz that comes with a reload.

I image, reimge and I love it! Saves time and keeps me happy knowing if I hit a bump...half and hour later all is fixed and ready to go...I always backup my saved games and profiles.
The only time I reload is when I upgrade mobo, or other heavy components...even then I use the image I have and just install new drivers.

I'm surprised more of us around here don't take images. Givin how often we reload or switch parts.

I'm surprised more of us around here don't take images. Givin how often we reload or switch parts.

Well after about 3 months, all of the drivers will be out-dated anyway, so it kind of defeats the object, but i do understand in theory that it is better.

If i had important information i could not lose, i would image, but i dont on my home rig, so i dont bother.. Also, like the others, i tend to swap and change hardware n a regular basis.

I voted for 3-4 months, just because i feel im going to be loading XP on my fresh vista business install i did 3 months ago. The boot times and speeds are already significantly slower than my XP laptop which i havent reloaded in 2.5 years!!

Windows-as long as I can, as long it ain't broke.

OS X- I've reinstalled it 2 times in the last year, not because it needed it but for going from single boot to dual boot and back. Now running VMs (Linux, windows) guests on OS X host.

Linux- whenever I decide to try something new, or when I've broken it beyond repair.

Same here with going from bootcamp to virtualization but I didn't have to reinstall when I was running bootcamp and removing Windurs, it automagically removed the partition and reclaimed the space on its' own.

My socket A computer is still running fine with almost four years on the XP install.
My 939 computer about a 1.5 years old with XP on it.Still running fast as it ever did.
Both computers are overclocked.

I got a Socket 939 that when im lucky it will run for a good 1 month on a install before it completly frezzes then restarts itself but then wont boot up

Generally over a year as I usually only fresh install on a new rig. That might change however since I have moved almost completely to portable apps and it makes the whole install process so much easier.

Well, this is tough cause XP haven't reinstalled in over 8 months. I usually only reinstall when I have to change hardware, which seems to be 12-18 months before I break something (mobo).

In gentoo on the other hand, this is my same install from the first time I installed it. I just keep it up to date via portage, and I've yet to break anything I couldn't fix.

Right now I have been running vista 64 since January of what ever year it came out. I don't remember how long that is but I haven't run into any real slow downs so if it ain't broke don't fix it. XP normally like once every year to 2 years

Here's how I handle it:
Code:
while true; do
    use_software_that_does_not_suck
    if must_use_software_that_sucks; then
        dont_be_stupid
        maintain_crappy_software_properly
        virtualization_for_the_win
    fi
    congratulate_self
done
Vista box: 6 months strong, no problems.

Mac OS X box: 2+ years, no problems.

Gentoo box: haha, reinstall? seriously? ;)

Server at work: 5 years.

My longest to date was my old original OEM Windows 95 installation. 5+ years.

Shortest was Windows ME. Installed it, futzed with it a few days and blew it away LOL.

Back