• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Starting point for scripting?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

huey

I am looking to get into scripting for user based programs and was wondering what a good starting point would be. Sorry if this seems vague, I am having a hard time finding where to start :).

Javascript is a good language too for even windows applications. I saw a video by the senior programming guy at Yahoo!, I cannot for the life of me remember his name, stating that Javascript is used in Adobe Photoshop. Javascript is integrated with all web browsers so portability is very good. I would also using a full compiled language like C#. I use it exclusively for work and personal and enjoy it very much. The only thing is it will only compile for use on a Windows machine. Java and C++ are compiled languages that can be compiled for multi platform use such as Windows, Linux, and even Mac.

C# is available free from Microsoft. The IDE is called Visual Studio 2005 Express. They also have Visual Basic, J# which is Microsoft's offering of Java again only compiled to Windows though, and Visual C++ which is also only compiled to Windows in this variation.

Hope this helps some!

Javascript has nothing to do with scripting really... it's for making webpages.

What you want is a scripting language. The classic scripting language that is still used a lot is Bourne Shell (sh). The other two are C Shell (csh) and Korn Shell (not used much now).

Most relatively complicated scripts are now done in more advanced scripting languages. Tcl was huge for a while, then Perl took over. Both are used a lot. Python is very popular now, and the latest hot entry into the market is Ruby, which is fully object oriented. Ruby is pretty cutting edge.

sh is still used a lot because all unix systems have Bourne Shell.

Back