• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New vs Old NF7-S v2's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think I just might go for a DFI Infinity now, since acheiving high fsb is such a breeze.

I'm still waiting for a reply from the technical team at Abit thou.

Sentential,

What did you say happened to your latest NF7? I'm sorry to hear it... seems like everyone's Abit boards are going down the tubes.

By the way, my new one is a Rev 2.2 :( My old board had metal lever and was capable of at least 240FSB with the D23 SubZero.

Still have my original A7N8X Deluxe from when they just started making Rev. 2 boards sitting around, bot don't think it's worth it. Sigh, I remember contemplating last June whether to buy the NF7-S or the A7N8X. Kicking myself now!

Thinking about DFI... I plan on staying with this computer for at least a year.

So frustrating!

Odie

What did you say happened to your latest NF7? I'm sorry to hear it... seems like everyone's Abit boards are going down the tubes.
I changed out my videocard out for a 98PRO... after I disliked it I put my NP back in... no POST..... Put the PRO back in... got it to POST but the screen got garbled and froze at the "Please do not turn the PC off as CMOS saves to BIOS". I cut the power quickly and it hasnt posted since

My guess is that it killed both the card and itself......RMA in progress:mad:

I've got a new NF7-S in the process of being modded right now... Purple and blue connectors, no FETs by SATA, plastic lever.

My first NF7-S had the FETs, black dimms and plastic lever... it sucked. Died.
My second had the FETs, black dimms and metal lever... much better... did 2-2-2-11 229 FSB no worries, 2.5-3-3-11 235 FSB no worries. Killed it.

Hope this one is at least average...

Sentential said:

Im gonna have to agree with you on that one.... Im half tempted to sell mine.

I really dont want a dead mobo when I can just go out and buy a DFI that will do everything I want @ stock.

However we must specify what old / new truly is

... this is how it is AFAIK

Technically:

Rev2.1
Looks:
#1 Had all mofsets
#2 Primary MOFSETS that had clearly depicted "Made In China"
#3 Metal CPU Lever
#4 Black DIMM / IDE slots
#5 Old style NB fan
#6 Hot MOFSETS
#7 Pumpkin Orange PCB
#8 Over-volts DIMMS by .05
#9 Undervolts by (.5v) <--- Resolved by MOFSET sinks

Characteristics:
OCs like a SOB... the tru blu NF7. Did 250 stock...yadda..yadda

Rev2.2 (Mine)
#1 MOFESTS have a circular indent. No wording on them
#2 CPU Plastic Lever
#3 Black DIMMS / IDEs
#4 New syle NB fan
#5 Hot MOFSETS
#6 Missing MOFSETS by the USB / SATA ports
#7 Deeper Redish Orange PCB color
#8 Over-volts DIMMS by .05
#9 Undervolts by (.5v) <--- Unresolved by MOFSET sinks

Characteristics:
Moderate OCer. Will break 220 but only with the L12 mod. Refuses to go past 240 without extensive modding. (havent done it yet)

--->(Mine) Refuses to work stabily with teh infamous 2-2-2-11 combo using *good* BH5 (max 210mhz @ 2.9v).. but works fine @ 232 using 2-2-3-11 using the EXACT same voltage :confused:

Rev2.3 (*New NF7* technically)
#1 Cheap MOFSETS (????)
#2 CPU Plastic Lever
#3 Colored IDE / RAM slots (blue / purple)
#4 New syle NB fan
#5 Unknown MOFSET temps
#6 Missing MOFSETS by the USB / SATA ports
#7 Deeper Redish Orange PCB color
#8 Over-volts DIMMS by (????)
#9 Undervolts by (????)

Characteristics:
Poor OCer... not known to break over 220mhz. Further quirks are unknown.....
]

Dude, mine is none of the above!!!
It has a metal lever, black dimms and IDEs, a new style fan, overvolts the vdimm by 0.3-0.5 according to MBM5. Has the mosfets that you claim missing.

Suma.

Suma said:
]

Dude, mine is none of the above!!!
It has a metal lever, black dimms and IDEs, a new style fan, overvolts the vdimm by 0.3-0.5 according to MBM5. Has the mosfets that you claim missing.

Suma.

your NF7-S is a freak, congrats ;)

The NF7-S was good... back in the day, until the DFI Lanparty came to production and it owns any other nforce mobo in its path

:)

DFI and its mobo's are flaky at best, buying an Infinity or Lan Party garuntees nothing. I had nothing but problems with my Lan Party. And I seen tons of threads on other forums of problems and disatisfied customers. More so than satisfied ones. As far as I'm concered, DFI is a second rate company with a second rate product. But that is only my opinion from my experience.

Well guys.. I recently traded my new nf7 with a freind that had the older one with the fets near the sata and the metal cpu arm.. so far its doing 210fsb.. not much but im working it up more.. with the 'newer' one I couldnt do this..

Did you mention that the older boards have a metal CPU socket lever and the newer ones have a plastic lever ?

Just thought everyone should now.

Sentential said:

Just got mine in. New style (v2.3) but has a metal CPU lever!?!?!?

Too weird... Im gonna OC it tommorow

lol.. go figure

good luck.. seems like thats what its coming down to now..

<sigh>:cry:

Yea...it does look like someone stole my BH5.... I cant find it anywhere.

I swear... may that person lead a tragic life...god damned thief.

Anyone have a suggestion for PC4000 RAM....im in the market now:(

So far (using Level1) it looks like a good OCer. Im gonna test it further but Its fine @ 216. (no L12 mod)

Gonna buy some PC4k soon....I still cant believe its really gone :cry:

NF7-S 2.4 (mine) has an additional missing MOFSET. Location of the new missing mofset is directally below the "NF7-S" green logo, between the 2 capacters

Last edited:
im stumped as to how everyone keeps track of the changes and labels their own motherboards "2.4" and "2.3" without knowing what exactly has been changed and when.

any details? without manufacture dates and without seeing like 20-100 models how can anyone be sure of what they have? are the use of serial numbers truly serial? if so, we could just order them like CPUs with steppings...

Sent>
what do you mean "additional" missing mosfet? mine only has the missing mosfet that tictac originally noted, the one below the SATA chip just between the SATA and USB headers. is there another missing mosfet on your board? are you missing any options off your board? mine are both straight NF7.

Sentential said:

I swear... may that person lead a tragic life...god damned thief.

Anyone have a suggestion for PC4000 RAM....im in the market now:(

So far (using Level1) it looks like a good OCer. Im gonna test it further but Its fine @ 216. (no L12 mod)

Gonna buy some PC4k soon....I still cant believe its really gone :cry:

NF7-S 2.4 (mine) has an additional missing MOFSET. Location of the new missing mofset is directally below the "NF7-S" green logo, between the 2 capacters

My freaky one is missing those too, but it has the known missing of the 2.3. I'm freaking confused. I can get 230 DC stable with the D22BK. I might wanna try the VDD Booster mod and increase the VDD a little. Since I can't really mesure it I'll do an average of the two spots. What's a safe VDD with air cooling (Vantec Iceberq Copper)?

Suma.

Sentential said:

Were you not using your BH5's? Where do you keep your spare computer parts? Where do you live? (what kind of housing)

Back