• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to OC need Guidance AMD A6-3400M

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

heimer21

Hello I have
Gateway NV55S04u
I attached a txt file AIDA report of my Laptop.
I tried Overclocking my CPU AMD A6-Series A6-3400M 1.4 Ghz using this Guide but it didnt work out much, it wasnt stable at 2.3 ghz and 1.1125 v. So I kept the frequency but increased the voltage to 1.1250 and it wasnt stable either. I dont know what to do now, I feel like I shoudve came here first before I even tried to attemp OC. OverClock Wizards I come humbly seeking your guidence to help me OC this CPU the right way I thank you in advance.

P.S I used k10stat for OC, and I modified my laptop case to fight the heat (sawed a big hole right under heatsink and have a 12 connected to an old PSU blowing at it)

Attachments

• AIDAReport.txt
    114.1 KB · Views: 715
:welcome:
Welcome to the forum, heimer21!

I actually just acquired a laptop with the same processor. So I cant help right now, but the guide looks like it has potential and I may try it out in the next couple of days.

Looks like you've taken preventative measures against the heat - that's a great start. What are your cpu temps under load?

Hello I have
Gateway NV55S04u
I attached a txt file AIDA report of my Laptop.
I tried Overclocking my CPU AMD A6-Series A6-3400M 1.4 Ghz using this Guide but it didnt work out much, it wasnt stable at 2.3 ghz and 1.1125 v. So I kept the frequency but increased the voltage to 1.1250 and it wasnt stable either. I dont know what to do now, I feel like I shoudve came here first before I even tried to attemp OC. OverClock Wizards I come humbly seeking your guidence to help me OC this CPU the right way I thank you in advance.

P.S I used k10stat for OC, and I modified my laptop case to fight the heat (sawed a big hole right under heatsink and have a 12 connected to an old PSU blowing at it)

The Cpu voltage is a little low. 1.2v roughly at 2.3ghz. Llano @ 2.9ghz is 1.25v - 1.35v

You're also are overclocking the IGP as well. So this could also stop an overclock when the Gpu has had enough without voltage increase. There is an APU voltage setting you probably can't touch either, unless your bios has any features

Also ram speeds and timings make an impact. Can you set any of the timings values in bios?

Hello, sorry for long reply time, Yesterday was a holiday in Russia, day of the Polar man. We were celebrating. I remember vodka and marinated tomatoes.... and blanks alot of blanks.
Now back to topic. Thank you for Welcome Storm-Chaser!
When I run Prime95 My temp stays in 62-65 C.
ShrimpBrime, my Bios has no options For RAM or APU. It doesn't have any options for OC at all. =[. Is it bad that I'm overclocking IGP?
So, should I try 1.25v for 2.3 GHz? What are your propositions?

The Cpu voltage is a little low. 1.2v roughly at 2.3ghz. Llano @ 2.9ghz is 1.25v - 1.35v

You're also are overclocking the IGP as well. So this could also stop an overclock when the Gpu has had enough without voltage increase. There is an APU voltage setting you probably can't touch either, unless your bios has any features

Also ram speeds and timings make an impact. Can you set any of the timings values in bios?

Sorry for double post, But I have another question before you answer other ones, Should I use a windows application to change ram timings if I don't have it in bios?, and to which timing should I change it? Thank You very much in advance ShrimpBrime!

Hi there heimer welcome to OCF.
I hate to say this but I don't think you'll have a lot of room to OC with your temps already in the 60's, now I don't know what the threshold on the APU's is but for most AMD chips 60°c is where we recommend people stop their OC.
This is very common with laptops. In such confined space there's little room for cooling.

Hi there heimer welcome to OCF.
I hate to say this but I don't think you'll have a lot of room to OC with your temps already in the 60's, now I don't know what the threshold on the APU's is but for most AMD chips 60°c is where we recommend people stop their OC.
This is very common with laptops. In such confined space there's little room for cooling.

Thank you Johan45, for the warm welcome and your reply.
What would you recommend I do if I manage to keep temperature below 60C? I have tools and a bit of ingenuity to do so, taking apart this laptop and mounting a motherboard heat-sink on top of laptop heat-sink using a thermal conductive material, and then have a strong fan cooling it off is one of the quite few things I have in mind and is prepared to do. But thank you for telling me the target temp I should work towards. :)

I run this same processor and overclock using K10Stat. The laptop is a Toshiba P775D-S7302. I am able to achieve a stable overclock at 2.8Ghz @ 1.35V with boost 3.067Ghz @ 1.4125V. Temps can get into the mid 80s depending on ambient temperature on prime stress tests but is completely stable. I have been running this overclock for over 6 months and hardly ever shut the machine off. I regularly use it as a gaming machine although its not the greatest. I can get it to run DayZ with some config tweaks but its not the most beautiful looking game at this point but still manage playable FPS haha. The A6's max operating temp is rated at 100C. I think that I am able to do such a high overclock because this was a slower processor that was available in this Toshiba lineup. The cooling unit in this computer was designed to handle A8 processors and their thermal load. Good Luck with your OC and don't be afraid to push your A6. She loves the abuse and juice; grins and asks for more! Casual use temps are around 50C or less. One gripe I do have with the Toshiba is they have their fan control locked out completely. The fan will not spool to 90% until it hits 80C. I've never witnessed it hit 100% ever.

Back