• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to OC AMD FX 6300 Black Edition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dark_XzYph3R

Registered
Hello all, I am trying to OC my FX 6300 and I have OC'd before with other CPUs on other Mobos but this one REFUSES to OC my 6300 but will OC my Athlon ii x2 270.. I also tried to use AMD OverDrive and I do get a stable OC but Aero gets disabled on any OC other than stock...

Please list your other system components such as motherboard, GPU, PSU (make, model, watt rating), Case (make and model), CPU cooler and RAM (brand and frequency rating).

Please list your other system components such as motherboard, GPU, PSU (make, model, watt rating), Case (make and model), CPU cooler and RAM (brand and frequency rating).

CPU= AMD FX 6300 Black Edition
PSU= Raidmax RX-700AC 700W 80 Bronze
Mobo= ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0
Cooler= Cooler Master Seidon 120M Liquid Cooler
Ram= Team Elite 1333 (2x2GB)
GPU= Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition
Case= Bitfenix Neos White/Silver

42c is a high idle temp.

What kind of "package" and "CPU" (i.e. socket) temps are you getting when you run the Prime95 blend test?

Please open HWMonitor (non pro version) on the desktop and run a 20 minute Prime95 blend test. At the end of the stress test, post back with attached pics of the HWMonitor interface so we can look at temps. To attach pics, click on the Go Advanced button and then locate the paperclip tool in the advanced post window. Please crop the pic first. Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories is great for this.

42c is a high idle temp.

What kind of "package" and "CPU" (i.e. socket) temps are you getting when you run the Prime95 blend test?

Please open HWMonitor (non pro version) on the desktop and run a 20 minute Prime95 blend test. At the end of the stress test, post back with attached pics of the HWMonitor interface so we can look at temps. To attach pics, click on the Go Advanced button and then locate the paperclip tool in the advanced post window. Please crop the pic first. Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories is great for this.

Untitled.png

Actually, those max temps are not bad.

Now, run that same Prime95 blend test for two hours. If you can pass it for two hours (no BSOD, no lockups, no core workers dropping out) then you can consider your overclock stable.

Looks like HWmonitor is also reporting lower idle temps than what you quoted earlier.

Last edited:
I'd like to see some Cpu-Z tabs as well, Overclocking software that I've seen will drop the ram multiplier and use the FSB to OC. I wouldn't be surprised if the ram was running well below spec. Post up the following tabs in Cpu-Z, Cpu, Spd and Memory.

Something like this gets us all on the same page...

...This is what we need to see for sure and a real good starting point.

Normally during setup and testing we disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, APM, TurboCore and in windows performance manager itself we set to "performance" mode. ALSO if you have HPC in bios you would ENABLE it. That way there are not "other" settings messing with the overclocking process. Some of those settings are not available on all models of cpu but where in evidence we disable for setup of overclock process.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS / "package" temps fully visible. Latest versions of HWMonitor show the CPU Core Temp as " a Package Temp" and is only shown as a single temp since there were never multple, individual core temp sensors anyway.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open and running on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

SPD.png Memory.png First Screen.png

Heres the cpuz stuff, also when I OC over stock then AERO gets disabled, do you guys know why? I was told to do a sfc /scannow CMD command and its running right now...

But my motherboard is still annoying me.... Wont apply my OC it just reverts back to default even though I set it to x20 and it still says x17.5..... This is the only CPU that I have had probs with... I can only OC through the AMD OD program....

Make sure the CMOS jumper is not set in the "clear" position.

Do you have the latest bios version installed?

Make sure the CMOS jumper is not set in the "clear" position.

Do you have the latest bios version installed?

Yeah I am pretty sure, I will check and if there is one then I will install... And its not that all my settings are reverting its just that it says my cpu is at stock and I set OC mode to Manual and bumped the Multiplier to x20

Make sure all your OC settings in bios are taken off Auto. You aren't using the bios' overclocking wizzard are you?

Back