• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Benching...Why??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Come over to the overclocktagon. You can put up a few results and compare to other's scores. Then start learning tweaks to improve over your own scores. It is a fun progression.

Come over to the overclocktagon. You can put up a few results and compare to other's scores. Then start learning tweaks to improve over your own scores. It is a fun progression.

Thanks for the invite bro! :)

But I have nothing to bench on :bang head
Sig rig was pre-built my Acer, so no unlocking options; I tried modding my BIOS, but they did not put any hidden options in for me to unlock.

I've read about the overclocktagon a little bit, but I need to build a rig that I can actually overclock first.

First mistake I made: Buying a pre-built rig. Never again will I do that. :bang head

Well you would be surprised Silver Pharaoh, what you can Bench it really does not need to be all singing and dancing set up! People even Bench Laptops for points, yep its true, you can get points by using older GPU's. The fun part is about taking part in it all, and looking at the end result to see if you have scored any points.

I just enjoy running some of the BenchMarks sometimes just for fun, because i like them, its like games. why do people play games, because they enjoy it and BenchMarks can be the same, plus the challenge you face to be the best and win Medals etc.

I myself have not been on here very long, but i get a lot of fun and enjoyment out of this Hobby, and even more so since i have joined a good team and learned how to do Benching. And yes you never stop learning about lots of Different things to do with PC's which helps you to better understand things. ;) :thup:

Respectfully,

AJ.

Well you would be surprised Silver Pharaoh, what you can Bench it really does not need to be all singing and dancing set up! People even Bench Laptops for points, yep its true, you can get points by using older GPU's. The fun part is about taking part in it all, and looking at the end result to see if you have scored any points.

I just enjoy running some of the BenchMarks sometimes just for fun, because i like them, its like games. why do people play games, because they enjoy it and BenchMarks can be the same, plus the challenge you face to be the best and win Medals etc.

I myself have not been on here very long, but i get a lot of fun and enjoyment out of this Hobby, and even more so since i have joined a good team and learned how to do Benching. And yes you never stop learning about lots of Different things to do with PC's which helps you to better understand things. ;) :thup:

Respectfully,

AJ.

Thanks!

Man I really wish I didn't kill my old rig :( Too hot, and I wanted to tear it apart for fun :p

Ah well.... :bang head

Okay, from what I gather, people who "bench" seem to spend a lot of time and money on squeezing out every last Mhz.... Why?

Is it just a fun hobby?
Do you get something for being #1?

What do you do with the rigs after? Folding? Cryptomining?

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on this, because to me it almost seems like a waste of time, money and electricity. (But I don't bench, so that's just an outsider's point of view ;) )

that sorta explains it :p
being no1 means a lot to some, thats why we have all the sports we do
benching is simply put - a sport

that sorta explains it :p
being no1 means a lot to some, thats why we have all the sports we do
benching is simply put - a sport

Thanks!

That's a good point, it is like a sport, so being #1 is the best :)

tis bro, some of us are addictive by nature, so once in, we cant get out :D
for me top10 is fine, i am just an enthusiast after all :) i just try to prove you can do a lot with simple home cooling (air, accessible to everyone) ;)

Even though its been a long time, I benched to improve.

I'm a computer/electrical engineer, and if it wasn't for my insane obsession with the Phenom II, I believe that I would not be the same engineer as I am today. My drive was to first learn more about the architectures of the CPUs so that it could help me for when I eventually entered that job market. In the end though, I ended up learning a hell of a lot about: power electronics, PCB design, PC architecture (the combination of CPU, memory, HDD, GPU, etc), FPGAs, micro-electronics, thermo-physics, and material science.

It was an expensive hobby, but probably the most fulfilling one I have ever had. I miss it, and I would like to get back into it, but the time and money is not there for me. Also, I know I would have to buy Intel if I ever got back into it. :D

To me, benching was and is still the best way to begin to immerse yourself into the world of computers and electronics. Most engineering schools do not have the classes/labs to give you the hand on training that the industry desires/needs. If you spend the time to actually learn everything there is to know about what and how you are tweaking your hardware/software, you will gain a substantial amount of information that can be used to open many doors.

Even though its been a long time, I benched to improve.

I'm a computer/electrical engineer, and if it wasn't for my insane obsession with the Phenom II, I believe that I would not be the same engineer as I am today. My drive was to first learn more about the architectures of the CPUs so that it could help me for when I eventually entered that job market. In the end though, I ended up learning a hell of a lot about: power electronics, PCB design, PC architecture (the combination of CPU, memory, HDD, GPU, etc), FPGAs, micro-electronics, thermo-physics, and material science.

It was an expensive hobby, but probably the most fulfilling one I have ever had. I miss it, and I would like to get back into it, but the time and money is not there for me. Also, I know I would have to buy Intel if I ever got back into it. :D

To me, benching was and is still the best way to begin to immerse yourself into the world of computers and electronics. Most engineering schools do not have the classes/labs to give you the hand on training that the industry desires/needs. If you spend the time to actually learn everything there is to know about what and how you are tweaking your hardware/software, you will gain a substantial amount of information that can be used to open many doors.

Awsome. Just awsome. :thup:
Thanks!

:thup::thup::thup: :D

To me overclocking was the way to learn about computers as there is no school that can give you all that info and in IT business you have to learn bigger part of it yourself.
I actually got my 1st job because of my hobby and I'm still working in IT for last ~11 years.

Now when you have so many answers maybe go bench something ;)

To me overclocking was the way to learn about computers as there is no school that can give you all that info and in IT business you have to learn bigger part of it yourself.
I actually got my 1st job because of my hobby and I'm still working in IT for last ~11 years.

Now when you have so many answers maybe go bench something ;)

So the hobby lead to a job? Awsome! :D

Something to keep in mind for sure! Thanks!

As for benching... I've got nothing to bench. :(

Dolk, how do we OC (really oc) non-k 1155s ? because I sure would love to be able to do that :)
got a pin-mod idea ?

well ya silver, with a good mobo you can oc, a bit, even non-k cpus, but its nowhere near as good as good ol times fsb ocing .. where all chips were oceable
pin mods were used in the past on non-oc boards to change the cpu fsb :) but that wont work on 1155s, bclk is stuck, but it may, may i mind you work on 1150s, where it may be unlockable .. although i feel intel did a good job at locking it to block any kind of budget ocing ..

The number rule of overclocking is:

1: As frequency increases, so does voltage and temperature.

Engineer a way to better handle temperature and voltage and you can OC anything.

I do stand corrected though with 1155 non K CPUs. I forgot about the bclk lock and Intel's stupid decision to put everything on the same bus. I wonder what would happen if you got rid of the USB ports/controllers though, do we truly know that the bclk is hard-locked?

It's not locked exactly. It's totally adjustable, it's just that the BCLK and the PCIe clock are synced together and/or are the same clock. PCIe devices tend to crap out somewhere between 104MHz and 114MHz.
Personally I suspect that it's the PCH that limits BCLK OCing, most of the other bits have been on the PCIe bus for a while, and in LGA1366land we were running PCIe at 108 to 112MHz, or more if you had a PCI slot and a PCI SATA card. Eventually the GPU will say forget it too of course.

It's also worth noting that Intel's DMI bus is a renamed-but-largely-the-same PCIe bus.

Could try some Cold on the PCH I suppose, combined with more volts.
You could also vmod the PCIe voltage controllers, that works on some GPUs to allow a higher PCIe speed to work with them.

Mostly, it's not worth the effort to OC a non-K CPU when you can buy a K for $20 more.

to me benching is a massive hobby where i can try my best to beat others.

Theres nothing better than competing, learning and passing on knowledge to others. Being solo or part of a team, once you get stuck into it, it is very very addictive.

I can remember when i first started benching just to get better performance for gaming, now i bench like i used to game.

You should try it, something small and simple. Use a bit of hardware you dont mind pushing, check on hwbot.org for similar scores and then try beat them.

theres definitely a lot of people willing to help and give tips on forums, and maybe if you enjoy it, join a team.

Back