• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MOBO and CPU combo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aaron6817

looking to up date my entertainment system. And want to add a HTPC to the mix.
Question. I wan't a MOBO and CPU maybe A A8 CPU.

So.... are you asking for advice on what to get? I only see declarative statements here, LOL!

lol, i little bit of booth i guess. i'm at work trying to do two things at once.

looking to up date my entertainment system. And want to add a HTPC to the mix.
Question. I wan't a MOBO and CPU maybe A A8 CPU.

I use a A10 5800K with Asrocks FM2A85X extreme 4-M and the combo works great.... but I am having audio problems with HDMI using Linux Mint 15. I don't believe it's the MOBO and I have yet to install windows. Still working on a solution with Linux.:-/

Totally depends what you want to do with your HTPC. Some guys want it to game like an Xbox. Personally I use it for XBMC only... movies, music, etc... If you don't want to game on it, pick a CPU with the lowest possible TDP so it will dissipate less heat and your HTPC will be quieter overall. I like mine when it does near to no noise. :)

I have a similar problem, and hopefully some ideas for you:
I recently killed my Asus AT3IONT-I motherboard with a 120 Volt short... this was a great MB for my HTPC. Fanless, enough power for full HD over HDMI, optical digital output etc.

It's hard to find a replacement--at least I cannot find one that's fanless and has HDMI. There are some Motherboard / CPU / VGA Combos out there with CPU fans, which could be replaced for a quieter one. The ones from Gigabyte appear to be well received. However, getting a mini-ITX w/o CPU and adding one is not necessarily that much more expensive, so also check that option.

In terms of OS, it depends what you want to do with it. I used mine only for Music and Videos, and running XBMC on it was just perfect for that. I used the XBMCbuntu distro, it's basically Ubuntu revamped to run only XBMC (right at boot time). If you can get your hands on a remote-control dongle for the original XBox, you can modify that to plug it into a USB port on the HTPC and thus get a remote-control. I did that, it was fairly simple to do (and cheap...)

Back