• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fractal R4 water loop question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matrixter

Hey, im a beginner, never done this before, so I need to know if one 240mm rad is enough to water cool a 4770k probably going to be around 4.5-4.7ghz at 1.215v-how ever many volts it takes to get higher, and a gtx 770, I havent really tested the cpu too much yet bc I onlt have a hyper 212 evo, I just put this system together (it was my first ever build) so im new to all of this: overclocking, water cooling, etc. I actually just tested my cpu just to test its potential, I got 4.4 at 1.21v I didnt even really fine tune, I couldve probably used less volts but yea. I dont want to do any more oc'ing till I get a water cooling set up.

And how much difference would it make in actual degrees between a closed loop cooler, (a good one, like the 240l GLACER thats supposed to be similar to a h220 "on steroids") and a custom water loop with good quality parts?

So my question is if I was to do a clc or a custom loop would I need more than 1 rad to cool both the cpu and gpu? This case can fit only like 3 rads (2 240s and 1 120) but it wouldnt be optimal to have 3. I would like to just have 1 240 as a top exhaust, and maybe 1 120 as a back exhaust if I can fit it.

Also I am going to de-lid so I'll be using coollaboratory's liquid ultra, would anyone recommend this on top of the IHS as well? And I read that the gpu gets too hot for that TIM so what other normal paste would you guys recommend? Is tuniq mx-4 the best? I don't care about price I just want the best cooling period.

Sorry for the long *** thread lol

You're going to need at least 120 x 3 for rad area. If you can do more you should. Be prepared to spend at least $500 US for a custom loop. Read the stickies.

You're going to need at least 120 x 3 for rad area. If you can do more you should. Be prepared to spend at least $500 US for a custom loop. Read the stickies.

What about if I am only oc'ing the cpu not the gpu? And would you recommend CLU on top of the cpu or normal paste? And how often would I have to replace it? Im ok with spending that much. I think I could do a 240 rad in the front (as intake) in push pull since I removed the drive cages, and then a 240 up top as exaust or 120 in rear as exhaust/intake. Just want to make sure I bring enough cool air in. I want good quality stuff because my next build will be a bigger case that I will reuse this water loop in with bigger and alot more rads.

If you plan on putting the gtx 770 under water you will need at least an extra 120 mm of rad, if not 240 will be fine.

If you are not delidding regular tim is fine.

If you plan on putting the gtx 770 under water you will need at least an extra 120 mm of rad, if not 240 will be fine.

If you are not delidding regular tim is fine.

Okay thanks. I am going to de-lid so I know im going to put the CLU on the die but I just wanted to know if its the absolute best for ontop of the IHS as well

Welcome to OCFs.

First and foremost I would not delid, especially being a first timer as a PC builder. It voids the warranty and you can crush the die or cause a short.

Second, any OCing should be done at the CPU category. You should read up the stickies there on how to OC and fine tune it from our experts there.

Third, you will need to read our water cooling stickies to better understand water cooling and once you know how much heat load your system will create, than you will know how much heat surface will be needed to cool the loop.

Also, please take the time to create a signature for us of your PC including the case.

Take your time. You seem to be in a hurry. Watercooling is a hobbie. Miss a step and your stuff will be good as gone.

Ok thanks alot. Is it actually possible to call up intel and beg for them to let you de-lid so you can save money on your electric bill? Haha I read that in a forum somewhere someone told someone else to do that. It sounds like b.s to me but anyway. I'm still going to do it. I trust myself not to break it. And if I do break it (which won't happen) that'll just be an excuse for me to give this pc to my sister or parents and start working on my next build. Because little did I know, i've had an enthusiant in me all my life. And im 25.

Before building this pc, I used to think building a pc from scratch was going to be hard, and when I did it, I realized how easy it really is, and now im seeking the next challenge. And I am already planning out my next build which will be in a few yrs which will be in a big extreme case like the 900D and w.e newest gen components are out at that time. Anyways thanks :)

Back