• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any tips on my build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kentyiro

Registered
Hey everyone! I've been planning on a new gaming/studio/video editing build and I'm hopping to get some feedback on this. Tell me what can I improve, is it good, is it too much can i have better for cheaper... I prefer Intel and nvidia brands just because I'm i lot more use to them. My last build has last me for about 6 years (dont know how) and it's getting pretty outdated so I'm hoping that this one will do the same for me. I'm open for all suggestion or critics about this. I really want a good PC but i don't want to go overkill on it if i don't have to.

Here's my plans at the moment:

CPU= Intel i7 Ive Bridge 3930K 3.2 GHz LGA 2011 130W
Motherboard=Asus Rampage IV Extreme Intel x79 Extended ATX LGA 2011
GPU=Nvidia GTX 760 x2 SLI
Memory=G skill 16MB(4x4MB)
PS=1000w gold80 or better
SC=interface card for the studio

This build will end up at around $1.9k to $2k with OS, cd drivers, etc. I picked the Extended ATX due to the fact that i need some space for a sound card. I couldn't find a consistent number on the amount of power that I needed to run everything so some help on that will be great. Also hoping to water cool this build but not immediately. Let me know what u guys think. Also I'm sorry for my bad english :screwy:

Thanks for taking the time to read this and for your help guys!:)

Last edited:
If you're going to be running Windows, then buy an SSD as any modern version of Windows is going to perform like a pile of crap on a disk drive. I also suggest you buy a single high end video card, instead of going for 2 mid range cards. Look at getting an AMD R9 290 or 290X as these offer outstanding value for money in the high end segment. At the moment there are not many non reference cards available for the 290(X), so wait until a few become available if you don't want a very loud video card. You can always buy another for Crossfire later on if you want, assuming your motherboard supports it.

Make sure you buy a decent PSU as well, from a trusted brand such as Corsair or Silverstone (there are plenty of other good brands too).

You'll have a hard time finding 4MB sticks of DDR3 as well. You want GB, not MB of RAM!

If you're going to be running Windows, then buy an SSD as any modern version of Windows is going to perform like a pile of crap on a disk drive. I also suggest you buy a single high end video card, instead of going for 2 mid range cards. Look at getting an AMD R9 290 or 290X as these offer outstanding value for money in the high end segment. At the moment there are not many non reference cards available for the 290(X), so wait until a few become available if you don't want a very loud video card. You can always buy another for Crossfire later on if you want, assuming your motherboard supports it.

Make sure you buy a decent PSU as well, from a trusted brand such as Corsair or Silverstone (there are plenty of other good brands too).

You'll have a hard time finding 4MB sticks of DDR3 as well. You want GB, not MB of RAM!

Yeah that was a typo mistake about the RAM. Thanks for letting me know. Thanks for your tip about about the video cards too. Ill take a close look at the 290x. Im no expert on these things and all i know to this date is by looking it up myself. And can you tell me the definition of crossfire?

Thanks again!

Crossfire is AMD's equivalent of SLI. If you can afford it, I also suggest buying a Korean 1440p monitor.

Also, do you really need 6 cores? For gaming you'll get no extra performance increase over a quad core, such as an i5 4670K or i7 4770K. A 6 core chip is great for video encoding or other applications that can actually use all 6 cores/12 threads, but otherwise you're just wasting your money. That LGA2011 socket is also an old platform in comparison to LGA1150 (Haswell). A 6 core chip will be more future proof than a quad core, but that's still not a good reason to buy a 6 core if you don't need 6 cores.

If the answer is "no, I don't really need 6 cores", then you'll get a much better machine for your money with a 4670K/4770K. The money you save can go toward a better video card, or a nice big SSD, or even a 1440p monitor. But first you have to tell us what you want to do with your computer, and what your expectations are, then we can go from there.

Grab a single gtx 780 Ti IMO. And go with an i7 4770k paired with an Asus z87 A

I'd also grab just a 750-850w psu. And two sticks of 8gbs of RAM. Etc etc

Crossfire is AMD's equivalent of SLI. If you can afford it, I also suggest buying a Korean 1440p monitor.

Also, do you really need 6 cores? For gaming you'll get no extra performance increase over a quad core, such as an i5 4670K or i7 4770K. A 6 core chip is great for video encoding or other applications that can actually use all 6 cores/12 threads, but otherwise you're just wasting your money. That LGA2011 socket is also an old platform in comparison to LGA1150 (Haswell). A 6 core chip will be more future proof than a quad core, but that's still not a good reason to buy a 6 core if you don't need 6 cores.

If the answer is "no, I don't really need 6 cores", then you'll get a much better machine for your money with a 4670K/4770K. The money you save can go toward a better video card, or a nice big SSD, or even a 1440p monitor. But first you have to tell us what you want to do with your computer, and what your expectations are, then we can go from there.

Thanks for the feedback! The reason i picked a 6 core is because i also do music production and usually have 2 or 3 programs running with several midi and usb devices at the same time. The only way I can run this on my current 4core 2.4GHz(<--not sure) is by overclocking and even so i still have issues. I had to pay a guy to do the overclocking for me (not planing to do that again...) For arrond $400, is afordable and a pick that will last me a while. Also i didn't know about the 2011 socket being old so thank you for that tip. ill look into getting a more current socket type... and you're right about the GPU, i really dont need that much so ill look into getting something more afordable to lower the cost

Thank you so much!

Also i didn't know about the 2011 socket being old so thank you for that tip. ill look into getting a more current socket type... and you're right about the GPU, i really dont need that much so ill look into getting something more afordable to lower the cost

Thank you so much!

:facepalm: LGA2011 is NOT an obsolete socket. At all. Not even remotely.It's the enthusiast platform and will be for at least another 12 months if not 24.
You should have been looking at a 4930K, not a 3930K. Ivy Bridge-E is better than Sandybridge-E. True, per core performance of a 4930K is some 4% inferior to a 4770K but that's because the 4930K is built on last year's Ivy bridge architecture while the 4770K is built on this year's Haswell architecture.

If you are able to run all 12 threads, you need a 4930K. Four cores may not be enough for you based on what you said. Seriously consider a 4930K. I think it's your best bet. Pair it with a Rampage IV extreme (yes it's a $400 motherboard, but it's worth it) and overclock it YOURSELF (this is not hard. We will teach you and hold your hand).

do you want 4 threads (4670K), 8 (4770K) or 12 (4930K)? I think you'd be best off choosing the 4930K. Honestly. It is not a dead cpu. Not a dead socket. It's what suits your needs.

Also, do not get two mediocre GPUs and SLI them. Get a single, more powerful GPU.

:facepalm: LGA2011 is NOT an obsolete socket. At all. Not even remotely.It's the enthusiast platform and will be for at least another 12 months if not 24.
You should have been looking at a 4930K, not a 3930K. Ivy Bridge-E is better than Sandybridge-E. True, per core performance of a 4930K is some 4% inferior to a 4770K but that's because the 4930K is built on last year's Ivy bridge architecture while the 4770K is built on this year's Haswell architecture.

If you are able to run all 12 threads, you need a 4930K. Four cores may not be enough for you based on what you said. Seriously consider a 4930K. I think it's your best bet. Pair it with a Rampage IV extreme (yes it's a $400 motherboard, but it's worth it) and overclock it YOURSELF (this is not hard. We will teach you and hold your hand).

do you want 4 threads (4670K), 8 (4770K) or 12 (4930K)? I think you'd be best off choosing the 4930K. Honestly. It is not a dead cpu. Not a dead socket. It's what suits your needs.

Also, do not get two mediocre GPUs and SLI them. Get a single, more powerful GPU.

+1

I never said LGA2011 was obsolete.

I never said LGA2011 was obsolete.

You're right. You didn't. I think I read the thread, as the mayor of my city once put it, "In one of my drunken stupors."

BlottoRobbo.png

My apologies, SMOKEU.

Essentially, we're both telling the OP the same thing. If he feels he needs 6 cores, and IMO from what he said, he does, and he has the cash to spend, he should avail himself of an Intel 6 core CPU, as he originally intended to. Just a 4930K instead of a 3930K.

Thanks a lot! all your feedback is very welcomed. Like i said im no expert so this is really helping me. I was looking on newegg and made some adjustments based on all your help and managed to slim down the price to around 1.5k(-$400) from my starting point.

Now i got a few other questions about the a proper chasis for this. Since I am planing on a future watercooling system to reduce the ovious noice this thing is going to make, what kind should a get? I was looking at coolermaster and NZTX. My plan is to run the watercooling thought the cpu and gpu with 2 radiators 140mm (one with 3 fans and one with 2). I dont know if 2 is an overkill or is it ok for it. Also thanks for letting me know that you will help me overclock it! i laugh a little when i read that.:thup:

Thank you!

Ok, so after I read all of your suggestions i came up with to builds very similar so let me know what u guys think:

Build 1:
CPU=Intel Core i7-4771 Haswell 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
Mobo=ASUS MAXIMUS VI EXTREME LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM=G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
GPU=EVGA GeForce GTX 770 DUAL SuperClocked 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI

Total cost= $1.4k(including sdd, PSU, bluray reader, etc)

Build 2:
CPU=Intel Core i7-4930K Ivy Bridge-E 3.4GHz LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor
Mobo=ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM=CORSAIR DOMINATOR 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
GPU=EVGA GeForce GTX 770 DUAL SuperClocked 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI

Total cost= $1.6k

So is u can see I took all your suggestions and came up with this too ideas. I'm not sure if having 2 RAM sticks of 8Gb is better than 4 of 4Gb. Let me know what u guys think.

I'd take the ram from build one and put it on build 2. because if you need 32gb(highly unlikely) but if you need it you wont have to buy 4 new sticks of ram.

I'd take the ram from build one and put it on build 2. because if you need 32gb(highly unlikely) but if you need it you wont have to buy 4 new sticks of ram.

true and since im planning this to be a 4 to 6 year pc i would be great in case i have to upgrade.

build 2:
CPU=Intel Core i7-4930K Ivy Bridge-E 3.4GHz LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor
Mobo=ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM=CORSAIR DOMINATOR 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

^ Build this.

DO NOT take the RAM from build 1 and put it in build 2. Then you'd only have dual channel. The Rampage IV extreme has 8 DIMM slots. Not 4. You can buy 4x4GB now and add another 4x4GB later for 32 GB. Or you can buy 4x8GB now and start out with 32GB if you think you can use the space. A lot of proffessional users or "prosumers" use more than 16GB of RAM.

BTW with the 4930K you'll want a quality heatsink. Look into a Noctua NHD14. They're pricey but they keep the cpu very cool when overclocking, which I strongly encourage you to do. It's not hard. We'll help.

Back