• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

keyboard not working

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arcanise

ok so im fixing a friends laptop and im out of ideas, he cannot log in too windows because he cannot type, so i had him buy a usb keyboard but that also cannot type, but the keys work, when he presses caps lock or other light keys it turns the LED on/off. also when he hits S the shutdown menu pops up, ive tried everything and im currently running a virus scan on his drive in my desktop but i cant find a solution anywhere on the web. any help would be grateful

windows 7 and its a cheaper toshiba laptop not sure the model $600ish

UPDATE: no viruses, not even tracking cookies. Id say it was hardware but a known good USB keyboard wont work. im clueless

any one have a clue?!

Did you enable USB services in the BIOS?

I assume you tried a different USB plug.

Did you run chkdsk /r on the drive, in case there are bad sectors on the hard drive?

A reinstall might work, it could be a corrupt usb driver. What happens when you boot off the install CD, can you access the keyboard then?

Last edited:
no none of that works, the keys work them selves but nothing is listening to them. my next step is too replace the keyboard with a new one (the laptop one)

Back