• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Category 6 and Category 6a Cabling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think you can't really beat the prices at Monoprice. And everything I've ever gotten from them has been high quality stuff. I think the price/quality there is just outstanding.

Monoprice doesn't give you a bag of skittles in every shipment, though :)

EDIT: Monoprice is a few dollars better for CMR / Riser. Deep Surplus is WAY better for CMP / Plenum, unless you're buying in quantities of 50,000+ feet, in which case Deep Surplus is only a few dollars cheaper per 1,000 feet (which still adds up when you've got a few times fifty); Deep Surplus also does custom per-order discounts, so they may still be significantly better.

I find Monoprice's Pentaprice on many items somewhat amusing :)

Last edited:
I think you can't really beat the prices at Monoprice. And everything I've ever gotten from them has been high quality stuff. I think the price/quality there is just outstanding.

You can say that again, Monoprice is the go to guys for anything HDTV related, best prices on uber high quality HDMI cables, nobody beats them in pricing on wall mounts and good prices on cat 6a STP cable and a lot more, the only sub par issue with Monoprice is with cable channel moulding, their selection sucks, but then again I go to cableorganizer.com for channel moulding..

Bought my new home in October, the next day I bought several hundred feet of Monoprice STP 6a cable, I needed more but they went to backorder, so when they got STP 6a cable back in stock; I bought more than I needed, here's the leftover, an extra 75' run, a 50' and a 25 footer:
Took me a bit to snake it all over the house using my 100' harbor Freight fish snake (paid $8 for the snake)

PS, If you want Monoprice STP 6a cables, don't wait, it sells out often. I also need to check out this deepsurplus place, looks decent ;)

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 484
I have always bought my stuff from monoprice.com but after that issue they had (yep, about 2 months ago), someone stole their credit card database (internally) and got 2 of cc's stolen and abused, about $3700... forced me to look to a different direction :(

I have always bought my stuff from monoprice.com but after that issue they had (yep, about 2 months ago), someone stole their credit card database (internally) and got 2 of cc's stolen and abused, about $3700... forced me to look to a different direction :(

But this could happen at almost any store. I don't, personally, think that is a good reason to stop shopping at one of the best stores around for this kind of stuff. If anything, I would bet it makes it now one of the safer places, I'm sure they have since enacted some much more strict rules when dealing with cards.

But yeah, that could have happened to any store, they just happened to have a thief that worked for them. I've worked in places with thieves, luckily for people they were just stealing from the company and not getting the readily available CC #'s out of the drawer/system.

This is actually the first I heard of this. What exactly happened to monoprice? Was it an inside job or were they hacked? I did a quick Google search but all I got back was information on that it happened, not how.

This is actually the first I heard of this. What exactly happened to monoprice? Was it an inside job or were they hacked? I did a quick Google search but all I got back was information on that it happened, not how.
Monoprice.com released a statement on its website regarding unauthorized use of credit card numbers from orders placed with Monoprice.com. The statement has been removed.

After the happening, the Monoprice.com color scheme was geen instead of red (not sure if this is unrelated). Recently, it began using the red color scheme again.

This type of thing is partly the reason for this thread. It is important to have backup options in case something happens to a usual vendor.

Bought my new home in October, the next day I bought several hundred feet of Monoprice STP 6a cable...here's the leftover, an extra 75' run
Monoprice.com Category 6a STP cables seem to only be the stranded type. For such long cabling as represented in quote, solid cabling should be used (although stranded cabling might still work).

If you want Monoprice STP 6a cables, don't wait, it sells out often. I also need to check out this deepsurplus place, looks decent ;)
It seems that Monoprice.com has increased rationing the Category 6a STP cabling (their prices seem to have gone up).

One of the best as you said.... so there are others out there which is an option. IMO, why stick to a store which recently have security issues when you can get it from the other one of the best stores. But then again, we are entitled to our own opinions.

But this could happen at almost any store. I don't, personally, think that is a good reason to stop shopping at one of the best stores around for this kind of stuff. If anything, I would bet it makes it now one of the safer places, I'm sure they have since enacted some much more strict rules when dealing with cards.

But yeah, that could have happened to any store, they just happened to have a thief that worked for them. I've worked in places with thieves, luckily for people they were just stealing from the company and not getting the readily available CC #'s out of the drawer/system.

And like what zzzzzzzzzz said...

This type of thing is partly the reason for this thread. It is important to have backup options in case something happens to a usual vendor.

Last edited:
STP is not necessary for normal home usage. Don't waste your money on anything other than UTP, unless you know you have a very specific reason for getting STP.

Whats the difference between those cablings?

Says the guy that still uses CAT5.

cheapest way is to make your own

cat5 can only handle 100Mbit
cat5e can handle up to 1gb (at medium lengths, more for just a stable 100mbit)
cat6 and cat6a can hit 10gb
cat7 can do 100gb

cheapest way is to make your own

cat5 can only handle 100Mbit
cat5e can handle up to 1gb (at medium lengths, more for just a stable 100mbit)
cat6 and cat6a can hit 10gb
cat7 can do 100gb

Cool thx, must have CAT5e then at home since I can do 1GB no problem with at least 10-15ft cable lengths.

catagory # cabling can go 100 meters

cat5e can do 1Gb up to i think ~55 meters

gigabit speeds are supported on cat5e up to 100 meters just like cat 6 and 7. :)

Also in regards to making your own cables being the cheapest. I have to admit that monoprice is very competitive in that regard.

$11 for 100ft of UTP Cat6 on any color and ~$21 for 100ft of STP Cat6 is a good price in my book. Now if you comapre BnM network cables to making your own then there is no competition but with the time spend and material cost monoprice and the other one mentioned above are highly competitive. Several months back I redid my network, stereo and video system in my place and I got everything I needed for about 60 bucks. And that included 10 50ft Cat6 runs, 10 10ft runs, handfuls of HDMI and component cables and a spool of speaker wire. If I made it myself I proly would have saved maybe 30% on the cables but I would have had to buy the cat6 in a 1000' spool so Id have spent more up front by a good bit. And if I had bought all of that from a retail place like BB or Ultimate then Id be surprised if it cost less than $150 easy. While making cables is great for quick fixes, if Im planning ahead for a project then I buy them from monoprice w/o question.

I also recommend monprice.com, bought some cat 6 and 5e from them, never had a problem great price.

best prices on uber high quality HDMI cables

I don't get this, HDMI is digital signal, 1's and 0's either it works or it doesn't.. there really is no in between or better then the other?

Back