• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP CD-Key Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RIPSTER

A Friend is paying me to Install XP on his Fujitsu Amilo Li 2727, Came with vista, he hates it. He has a genuine XP pro sp1 CD-Key, but no sp1 disc. Only disc I have is SP3. Is there any way to get the SP3 install of XP to accept the Key from the SP1 COA.

When I try to use the key during installation or from activation wizard it is refused as being invalid, but it is definitely an XP Pro COA

You need an OEM version of the Install Disc to match the OEM COA Key. IIRC, W7 omits this OEM/Retail distinction with regard to License Keys, but it's absolutely present in XP. The Service Pack won't matter - I slipstreamed SP2 on to an SP1 disc, and SP3 onto an SP2 disc w/o issues (assuming the key and disc are both "OEM")

:cool:

Google or search torrent sites for X08 XP Pro CD. This version will accept your SP1 key. That SP3 CD uses a different CD key algorithm that won't take older keys.

DOH! You're right - MS ran out of keys (XP sold that well! :eek: ) and had to change the way they generated valid keys. But the OEM vs Retail limitations are still valid AFAIK...

You can always slipstream SP3 onto an SP2 disc as well (nLite) and not have to deal with this issue...

DOH! You're right - MS ran out of keys (XP sold that well! :eek: ) and had to change the way they generated valid keys. But the OEM vs Retail limitations are still valid AFAIK...

You can always slipstream SP3 onto an SP2 disc as well (nLite) and not have to deal with this issue...

XP is also a decade old :)

Just get a hold of an OEM SP2 or SP1 disk to use.

Back