• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Router Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ozzy0627

Hi, does anyone know of a router that you can open up multi ports per port? Like the linksys router has 4 ports....I can open up wholes in the firewall for 1 of the ports but not others, is their a router that I can play with each port individually?

To much use of the word "port" there ;) I'm assuming you mean for each ethernet connection on the back of the router, can i open up more than one port for connections through the internet? (i.e. opening port 21,25,80 on 192.168.0.1). From personal experience both my Linksys 8 port (BEFSR81) and my Netgear 8 port (FR314) have those capabilities. If i recall correctly you have to set multiple rules to allow for multiple ports even on a single machine but it should allow you to do what i think you want to do.

Yes you can accomplish this. (I think, I'm also confused by the numerous "port" references...)

Basically, you can open up....oh let's say port 456 for one ethernet jack, or all of them......you go buy IP address of the machine/machines you want to access that communications port.

hehe sorry, I had the linksys 4 port router and I could only open all the ports on 1 ethernet jack. The other ethernet jacks I could not play with seperately in the menu. When I called linksys they said I couldn't do what I wanted. I was trying to get multiple computer to play cossacks but could not join games with other computer becuase their stuck behind the fw. Am I just doing something wrong? Can you open up differnt port for each jack, all at the same time?

Back