• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram help plz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DRaZZ

is it possible to remove ram chips from a vid card and then solder them to another pcb ??? if so, does anyone know a good web link explaining how to do this ? Cheers :D

i readed something about it once but i cant remember the website.
if i recall well it can be done.
it was about removing 16MB mem chips and mounting 32MB ones for instance, in order to give the card a greater amount of memory, or just replacing with faster ones.
but it is a very technical job.

soldering

Yep. I could do that kind of soldering. But removal is much more of a pain than just putting those chips on a blank space.

I'd like to see some 3.6ns video ram used on a DDR stick!

youre not going to replace the chips with smae specs ones. but then you need the video card bios to be programed to make use of the greater amount or the faster timings, so it might just not be worth all the effort..

you'd need a hot air part removal machine (waaaaay more than you want to pay) and then you would hafta clean off the pads and then resolder it by hand which itself is an art to get all those pins perfect. and the soldering equipment you'd need is pretty expensive.

in effect... possible but in the end you could probably buy at least 500 ti 4600's with the same money.

Back