• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is it the heat do ya think?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nforcer

ok here is my rig:

p4 2.26 (1.7v)
abit it7
samsung 2700 2 sticks of 512mb (2.9v)
maxtor 30gig
geforce 2mx ( i know im changing it soon)
mr natural 8Z bios
ram running at 2.5,6,3,3

so here is my question - i currently have my system running at 2.55g with a fsb of 150 and im using a 3/4 divider so my ram is running at ddr400 (200mhz)

ok so i can get into windows and run pcmark and sandra and stuff but it will randomly reboot for no reason

but since i can get into windows and run benchmarks and stuff im wondering if it its heat that will make it reboot?

like right now my temp is 45.5C at idle and my case is 31C at idle

full load it will go up to 55 or so maybe - could get higher but i havent watched it super closely for a long period of time yet.

do you think its the heat? because if it is a heat issue then i have no probs getting some 120mm fans to replace my 80mm to up the air flow!! (its an antec 1080pure case)

any suggestions - comments??

anybody?

Nforcer said:

do you think its the heat? because if it is a heat issue then i have no probs getting some 120mm fans to replace my 80mm to up the air flow!! (its an antec 1080pure case)

any suggestions - comments??

anybody?

Well, I´m not an expert @ all - but I had a very similar prob!

I can run my system @ fsb 140 - some games run stable (e.g. CS) but the new games (e.g. Jedi Knight II) crash back to windows. I think it´s not a problem of heat since I was testing that during the early spring were the ambience temp over here was about 10° lower (=> the CPU / MB temps about 5° lower).

I was told it could be the voltage. Unfortunately my board / bios doesn´t support voltage change if I run it in jumpermode. I´m to lame and scared of doing that wire trick - so I´m running @ 2208 MHz (fsb 138) now.

Since I own a Ti4200 - speed is no longer problem with any game!

CYA
Bigsexy

ive got the volts on the cpu as high as the abit can go @ 1.7

and my ram at stock speed should have volts of 2.5v and im running it at 2.9v (registers at 2.85v)

Im not to willing to go any higher and screwing my ram up !

with my settings i got a sandra score of 3050 on the ram test wich isnt too shabby at all (rd1066 gets around 3300)

=)

if i can get it rock stable i would be so happy !

Could be the CPU voltage.. I've heard that even though you got the volts at 1.7 that its really a tad lower... your gona have to look in your bios or with whatever program they gave ya with the board that will look at the temp and voltages.. I've heard people doing volt mods to the CPU via using a tiny copper wire covering like 2 pins on the bottom of the cpu with is easy to do and it will up the voltages a tad enough to make it very stable... But the prob is that the added voltage will incress the heat if ya go over 1.85.. But i think you can do the mod to where it will add a tiny bit keeping it at either 1.7 solid or 1.75v...

You'll have to look into that in the proper Intel forums.

I dont think its a heat prob... Not sure cuase i'm using and been using AMD for a while now.. Never had a P4 but i know the P4's have heat protection that will just lower the clock down if it gets too hot to keep the system stable and from burning the CPU.. So if thats the case it shouldnt lock the system.. meaning ya need more voltage. Maybe even a better non retail heatsink to go with that... I'd look into the new H/S from Swiftech the MCX4000 i think it is.. Thats the best. i think its cheap too like only around 50 something.

ive got an alpha 8942 lapped to mirror finish with as3 on it and a sunon 40cfm 80mm fan on top

its idling at 45.5 - 46 C and my case temp is still at 31C (my room temp is only 23C so i need to work on that i think.

i just check the actual volts on my cpu and its at 1.65 (but set to 1.7v)

hmmm so more volts eh?

what about the ram? its at 2.9 and is being reported at 2.85v

??

NOt sure about the ram... Samsung at 200 FSB? Well i hope those are the REV C CTL sticks... No the D's... You could try backin the ram down and see if it still happends but who would be happy about that hehe...

yeah look into volt mod for the cpu and take your time... It's probably the prob..heh.

As for the volts on the ram... hell Samsung likes high voltage so that shouldnt be a prob.

Back