• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5500 still kickin! If you havn't seen the article on the front page.........

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shadow ÒÓ

Mod in Hiding
5500 still kickin! If you havn't seen the article on the front page.........

Posted by Ed, have a look.

For all those against 3DFX, maybe this'll give you the opportunity for a second thought.

I don't know shadow when you look at the 5500 compared to the old GeForce 256 ddr its kind of a toss up. If you throw in the fact that the GeForce is also great for pro apps when you do the Quadro mod its a clear choice. There will also be no more support for the 5500. I just don't think its a good idea to recommend buying a card from a company that doesn't exist anymore.

On the other hand the cards are almost the same price and the v5500 comes with 64mb ramdac vs the GeForce which is 32mb ddr so it performs much better in 32bit apps.

This is a hard decision.

Interesting article, however I take Graphic card reviews and benchmarks with a pinch of salt as I think its largely a personal thing.
The best visual quality I personally believe comes from matrox cards (well in 2D at least) having said that I am exceptionally happy with my Elsa Erazor X2 which is a Geforce 256 32 mb DDR with the Quadro modification, and if that review is correct I still made the correct choice as when I play Q3 I play it in 800 x 600 in 16 bit which is due to speed rather than anything else and in this situation the Geforce appears to perform better than the 5500.
I haven't seen for myself the 5500 so cant really make a detailed opinion on it, however I do think that consumers will be worse off overall as there is less competition and choice now in the 3D card market, and this is one reason why we should all miss the 5500

Moment of silence please for a once great card maker :)

I'm not sure what was up with that guy's horrible Radeon scores...I know mine runs better than that and it's clocked lower....hmmmmmmm

Also I'd like to see the results between the Radeon 64 DDR & V5. My Radeon spanks my V5 in everything except FSAA! Much better colors, crisper image, and much faster and smoother. All I need to do is run my res at 1280 x 1024 and it looks just as good IMO as the V5 @ 1024 x 768 with 2x FSAA. But runs much better.

I've been looking for a 5500 for a budget box I'm trying to assemble. It's either the Radeon LE or the 5500. It's the 5500 if I can find it for 50 or 60 bucks, no questions asked, totally decided. But that's not looking too good, so I think I'll have to settle for the Radeon anyway. Ah well.

Also looks like he is running his monitor at 60hz and didn't disable vsync! what a tard.

At this point I'd like to point out (once again :)) that altough V5500 has 64mb of memory, it is split between the 2 VSA100 chips. That makes it a 32mb card.

I just had to.

asmodean (Jul 10, 2001 04:03 p.m.):
At this point I'd like to point out (once again :)) that altough V5500 has 64mb of memory, it is split between the 2 VSA100 chips. That makes it a 32mb card.

I just had to.

Doesn't it really end up being like a "48 MB" card because the Z buffer is shared between the two chips? I thought it was something like that...

I have a voodoo 3 agp 16meg card overclocked to 197mhz. I also have a geforce 2 gts pro 64 meg ddr too. Ive also owned a voodoo 2 but anyway,
All i can say is that i love my voodoo 3 for the games they have now , but i know later the voodoo cards will indefinitly suck in the future. I will be bringing my gts pro back soon to Bestbuy since they have a 30 day warrenty and then put my voodoo 3 back in my system. I think the only card that will satisfy me is either the geforce 2 ultra leadtek or the geforce 3 mx. I think once the ultra comes down to 180 i will definitly pick one up.

Nagorak (Jul 10, 2001 07:46 p.m.):
asmodean (Jul 10, 2001 04:03 p.m.):

I just had to.

Doesn't it really end up being like a "48 MB" card because the Z buffer is shared between the two chips? I thought it was something like that...

Hmm... That I don't know.

Me:
Thats real good for a V3. I believe its a 2000. What type of cooling arrangement are you using ?
Thanks

MPH (Jul 15, 2001 01:33 a.m.):
Me:
Thats real good for a V3. I believe its a 2000. What type of cooling arrangement are you using ?
Thanks

Yeah Me thats not bad, I have mine at memory speed of 200mhz and core speed of 195 for stability on the hot days.. it was doing 205mhz in the winter.. but not very stable.. 200 was arlight.

I took of the stock heat sink, laped the chip, put on an old socket 7 hs, added a 60m(?) fan to the side so its blowing over the top and bottom, as well as the power chip heatsink.. the red one that gets VERY VERY hot.. wow did that make a differnence.. cool that baby down and she runs alot more stable..

some will try to tell you that the memory is holding you back, however my memory clocks higher than my chip!..

Gotta love custom drivers.. I have FSAA set up.. the whole nine yards..
Runs like silk.

No reason to upgrade. but I am looking to ADD memory to it.. that will be a sweet mod. maybe just replace it all with some lower ns models.. it can hold 32mb on board.. but only has 16mb on it.. hmmm

Wonder what I'd have todo software side to get it to see the othere 16mb I'd have added.

Would be fun

Laters,
-Treker
(w00t 300 posts)
*Edit* Oh yeah its a Voodoo3 3000 PCI, and handles overclocking very very well *Edit*

Voodoo 3 chip only supports 16 megs. However some faster ram would be a cool mod for experimenting.

AKUDE

Back