• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI GeForce3 Ti500 or ATI Radeon 8500LE 128mb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hurk

Well, pretty much what the subject says, I'm wondering what you all like.

MSI GeForce3 Ti500 or ATI Radeon 8500LE 128mb

Both are $220.00CND and both sound great.

What do you all like?

Hmm, whats that radeon clocked at ? 275? 250? or 230? is its 275 or 250 i say go with it, if 230, then go with the gf3 ti 500

ATI8500LE 128mb Core = 250, Memory clock 250
Leadtech Ge3 Ti500 Core = 275, Memory Clock = 275

hmm

Hurk said:
ATI8500LE 128mb Core = 250, Memory clock 250
Leadtech Ge3 Ti500 Core = 275, Memory Clock = 275

hmm
wow... tough choice... both are the same price.

i'd go ti500, but there's no valid reasoning behind it... those are pretty equivalent cards.

the ti500 is 64mb ram correct?

Maxvla said:

wow... tough choice... both are the same price.

i'd go ti500, but there's no valid reasoning behind it... those are pretty equivalent cards.

the ti500 is 64mb ram correct?

Yeah.. you see my problem =)

well, I cant agree with maxvla, I say go with the Radeon. It has better 2d, and you will be able to play more demanding games since there is 128 mb as opposed to 64 mb. Basically, they are equal for todays games. BTW nice prices for canadian, where you getting it from?

therock911@ said:
well, I cant agree with maxvla, I say go with the Radeon. It has better 2d, and you will be able to play more demanding games since there is 128 mb as opposed to 64 mb. Basically, they are equal for todays games. BTW nice prices for canadian, where you getting it from?

Well ATI is offering them for 229.99 Canadian.. I have a friend who can get them wholesale for around $215-$220. Future Shop (Canadian Best Buy) is offering them for $249.99. Still not bad.

As for the MSI Ti500, same place, although I haven't seen any other prices for them.

video cards are not like cpu/ram. in this case i would prefer the ti500 over the LE.
may the two articles can help you to decide:

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/videocards/article.php/3211_989321__5

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1608&p=5

in the anandtechs article there is no ti500 in the comparison but you can figure it out from the G3 measurements, once the ti500 will perform quite a bit faster.
try searching anandtech reviews and articles because they have good stuff for this purpose.

i still say geforce 3 is better than R8500.

i have since the beginning of the argument and i still do.

reasoning:
1)geforce 3 performs better in most games than an 8500. 3dmark is the main benchy that likes ATi
2)all of a geforce 3's features work. quincunx AA + 8x ansio=beautiful
3)better tweaking options with a geforce 3 (IMHO!!)
IMO games look better on a geforce 3 than an 8500.

the 8500 has the 2d quality crown, but i like the way games rendered on a geforce 3 look, but it really is a matter of preferance.

ah and youl never have the driver worries on a Nvidia card that u have with an ati.
even catalyst has its share of roblems:(

i have a lot of hope fpr R300 though, im not an ATi hater, just for the record. i loved my original Radeon, which i thought was better than Nvidia's offerings at the time.

you should also consider a geforce 4 Ti4200, it is considerably faster than both cards here, and shouldnt cost much more, if any more.

you can get an MSI Ti500 here for $188 canadian retail asa ell, I was told they were all gone when I called but today I found out they may get a few more this coming week

for the price I would take the Ti500, and I have bought from them before without probs

www.anitec.ca

Cisco Kid said:

for the price I would take the Ti500

www.anitec.ca

I agree with Cisco, I was an Avid anti ATI person for a very long time and the Radeon 8500 I owned turned my thinking around 180 degree's, but even so I'd go with the ti500, its just better for upcoming games like Doom3

I'm surprised Cisco didn't link to the article he posted earlier today, maybe This can help you decide

Silversinksam said:

I agree with Cisco, I was an Avid anti ATI person for a very long time and the Radeon 8500 I owned turned my thinking around 180 degree's, but even so I'd go with the ti500, its just better for upcoming games like Doom3

I'm surprised Cisco didn't link to the article he posted earlier today, maybe This can help you decide

LOL I was just to lazy Silversinksam and tired after a wedding today, I am gonna try to buy the Ti this Monday, I am hoping they get a few in for the price, we will see....

cisco

oTTO said:
video cards are not like cpu/ram. in this case i would prefer the ti500 over the LE.
may the two articles can help you to decide:

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/videocards/article.php/3211_989321__5

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1608&p=5

in the anandtechs article there is no ti500 in the comparison but you can figure it out from the G3 measurements, once the ti500 will perform quite a bit faster.
try searching anandtech reviews and articles because they have good stuff for this purpose.

Great links, kinda makes me lean towards a Ti4200 128mb.

Hurk said:

Great links, kinda makes me lean towards a Ti4200 128mb.

yes, thats the best deal. wait just a few more if you cant afford it right now.

Nice! That means Unreal 2003 will be working with my aging voodoo 3 2000 (PCI in my sisters computer)....... Nice! But still i need a upgrade toooo... Right now I'm on my computer with a 4mb matrox card :( so that means when my duron/ram/mobo go to my sister, I will be able to play networked unreal 2003 when its out, cause she'll still be using that voodoo! Nice :p anyways I have to tell you guys about how much I sold my voodoo 3 3000 agp with tv out for......... $70 US (approx.) locally! The guy who bought it from me wanted it soo badly, he offered me that price and I couldn't refuse..... I still dont know whats sooo special about the voodoo, when he could have got a gf 2 mx with tv for like $60 canadian at local stores.

Last edited:
By my understanding, UT2003 benchmarks should be equivelant to Doom 3 benches. *If I am incorrect, please correct me!!!!* I am getting a GF2 Ti, which should fall in between the GF3 Ti200 and GF2 Ultra's score.

<------------------I WANT I WANT I WANT!!!!!!!!

Back