• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Epox 4G4A+ board and Corsair 3200 ram!!!!!!!Incompatible?????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

barenziah

Registered
When I have been trying various settings on the my P4 2.26 and my 2 sticks of Cosair 512 3200 ram if I dont give the ram enough volts in the bios and reboot after playin in the bios then the system locks up and beeps and the LED either reads C1 or C3 cant remember. I then have to clear CMOS and redo the bios settings usually addin 1 to the volt to mem. Anyone know how high is to high on mem volt???? Still cant get Cosair to run stable at the 4:3 setting above DDR360 at any Mem setting or Volt and also not above FSB of 170 or higher at the 1:1 setting which maked it DDR 340 or a tad higher. BUT BUT BUT BUT I can get my 2 old sticks of Crucial 256mb PC2100 DDR266 to run at the 4:3 settings at DDR400 setting with no problem an only bump the volt up to 2.7 so go figure. Either the Corsair 3200 does not work as it is supposed to or the 4G4A+ board has a problem with the Corsair. I think it is the motherboard myself because I have read to many good things on this ram from to many different people on many different boards. Also you might want to make sure you are useing the original bios because the new one misreads the +5v and +12V rails. Hope this helps. Also if anyone knows of any problems with the Epox 4G4A+ board and the Cosair 3200 ram let me know please.

I'm running this board & 1 stick of 512 MB Corsair PC3000 at 412 DDR (165 FSB - 4:5 memory divider).

V-mem set to 2.7 - all stable and fast.

Suggest testing with 1 stick in Dimm 2 - I understand Dimm 1 is not good for overclocking, as I could not get mine reliably past 150 in DIMM 1.

Good luck!! :D

I don't have Corsair, but I do have Crucial PC2100 (256mb double sided). It worked in slot 1 up to 160 FSB 4:5 divider using 1.65 Vcore and 2.9 Vmem. I just moved it over to slot 2 like Aud. I am trying to see if there is any difference. The only difference is Sandra just faults out, when in slot 1 the whole system just froze. I am slowly pushing up the Vcore to see what is the max.

I have same problem with you, this problem not just happen on 4g4a, 4bea and gigabyte 8igx also have this problem. The way to slove this problem maybe is use 1 pc memory only!
I belive this problem boz the memory chip, now all the new memory modules is 64mbx32( cant remember is correct or not), that means if a 256mb memory, it only have 8 chips on board and is single side, but if 512mb memory it have 16 chips on board and is double side. All the memory like this will have problem if you are running 2 pcs of memory , if you dont oc and just run it at pc2100 then nothing going wrong, but if you oc it then no way to get stable. I have a samsung ddr333 and it can running very well at gigabyte 8igx under 166fsb, the memory is running at 415mhz, i can get 3156 memory at sandra, but if I put 2 pcs of same memory moudles on that board, I even cant load up winxp at 333mhz.
here is my memory
ddr333.jpg

here is my memory result
ddr415.jpg

Last edited:
My results with slot 2 was just slightly better, but this is no way definitive or conclusive that slot 2 was better than slot 1. Because, I didn't really raise the voltage high enough when using slot 1. My max for my 2.26 and Crucial is at 162 FSB. That gives me about 3130 ALU.

I had the same problem with the xms3200 in my 4g4a. Two steps were necessary to fix it.

First, move the DIMM to slot 2.

Then, flash back to an older BIOS. The current version, dated 6/19, did nothing for me. I could not break 360mhz ddr using it. Get ahold of the 4/11 or 4/24 BIOS, both of which work great for me (running 400mhz ddr now). Here's a link to the 4/24 BIOS.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Goto_Dengo said:
I had the same problem with the xms3200 in my 4g4a. Two steps were necessary to fix it.

First, move the DIMM to slot 2.

Then, flash back to an older BIOS. The current version, dated 6/19, did nothing for me. I could not break 360mhz ddr using it. Get ahold of the 4/11 or 4/24 BIOS, both of which work great for me (running 400mhz ddr now). Here's a link to the 4/24 BIOS.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Do you know were to get the 4/11 BIOS you speak of ??

I think their is some thing wrong with the 4G4A+ I have.
512mb XMS 3200 only beeps in my 4g4a+, no post, what so ever,
in any slot, at any voltage.

The same stick of XMS 3200 works fine in my 8k3a+
But like I,v said before micron pc2100 work pretty good in the 4g4a+

Ace-a-Rue said:
My results with slot 2 was just slightly better, but this is no way definitive or conclusive that slot 2 was better than slot 1. Because, I didn't really raise the voltage high enough when using slot 1. My max for my 2.26 and Crucial is at 162 FSB. That gives me about 3130 ALU.

Just an update to my post....I found bank 1 to be unreliable when 2 dimms were populating 1 & 2. When I used 2 & 3, it worked just fine to 163 FSB.

Ace-a-Rue said:

Just an update to my post....I found bank 1 to be unreliable when 2 dimms were populating 1 & 2. When I used 2 & 3, it worked just fine to 163 FSB.

Yep thats just about what I have too.
If I put in just one 256mb dimm in slot 2 I have made it to 175fsb
ran some benchies but gameing was out of the question.

With one dimm 165fsb is very stable.
With two dimms 160 is good to go.

Unfortunately, I didn't know at the time that slots 2 & 3 are shared and you must use single side dimms not larger than 512 mb. So, the m/b was acting like there was only one dimm in there...what a bummer!:D

I wounder if i could get the Board above 160Mhz FSB
with a P4 2,0A and 256MB PC3200DDR Xtreme???

Please help me.
because i have to make a decision between
the 4G4A+ or the ASUS P4B533-C
i want the epox but i realy need to know if i can use PC3200 on it and if i can get above 160Mhz FSB with my P4 2,0A

Back