• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP Pro Install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sonny

Senior TIFOSI
Does anybody know how to specify cluster size in NTFS during a fresh install of WXP? No partitioning software available that I can find to do this. RAID sucks big time with the default 4K clusters on a 16K stripe:(

Doesn't your Raid bios offer that option? I know on my Kx-7 raid I specify cluster size when setting up the raid within it own bios screen, what raid chipset is it?

mamer said:
Doesn't your Raid bios offer that option? I know on my Kx-7 raid I specify cluster size when setting up the raid within it own bios screen, what raid chipset is it?
You are talking about STRIPE SIZE which I have set in the High Point Controller's BIOS. I'm talking about CLUSTER SIZE in NTFS;) When you have a mismatch of cluster & stripe size RAID slows down quite a bit.
  • 16K STRIPE + 16K CLUSTER = FAST
  • 16K STRIPE + 2K CLUSTER = Slower than a single HDD
It defaults to 2K Clusters in NTFS when formating with WXP when in RAID0 configuration. I know WXP is suppose to do it in 4K clusters but since a RAID0 Array will split it up into 2 HDDs you actually get 2K instead of 4K. I know I can get around this by using FAT32 with the FORMAT X: /U /S /Z:64 which gets me 32K on NON-RAID & 16K on RAID0.

I can't find any info on the MS site in reguards to this, I get a VB runtime error. It looks like some partition management tools will allow you to do this, does this Here help in any way?? I presume leaving the file system intact will allow you to do this!!

No need to keep my data intact since they are all backed up now. Thanks for the help:beer: but I just need something that has a Trial Period so I can use it or better yet free:cool:

This is more the lines of what you are looking for I believe although I can see no way to do this without re-formating the raid separately Here

13oots2 said:
This is more the lines of what you are looking for I believe although I can see no way to do this without re-formating the raid separately Here
If need be I will wipe the array again. It's only been 8 tries:(
Windows XP Professional, like Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000, supports file compression. Because file compression is not supported on cluster sizes above 4 KB, the default NTFS cluster size for Windows XP Professional never exceeds 4 KB
There is a way to get around it which is stated HERE. Now I need to do a lot of reading.

I don't know if it is possible then, if WinXP cannot read compressed files with a larger than 4k files size, then there will be problems. By default both XP and 2K compress some files, mostly Dll's and some driver inf files.

Hopefully the file compression is all that goes & the WXP will still work properly. I was thinking that if I could do it in FAT32 16K Cluster in RAID0 it should work like it's suppose to since FAT32 does not support file compression.

Last edited:
Sonny...I believe the command is either:

FORMAT C: /A:16K /FS:NTFS or...

FORMAT C: /A:16384 /FS:NTFS

One of the above commands I believe is correct (probably the first one IMO, although I could be wrong). Afaik, formatting with the 16K or 16384 switch (whichever one is correct, I'm just not positive on this)...will set up the array with an 8K cluster size (if it works the same way as formatting with the /Z:16 switch without the /FS:NTFS parameter...8K spanning the array). ;)

Last edited:
I do this command with WINDISK.EXE or OFORMAT? I have the feeling you mean to use this with WINDISK.EXE since OFORMAT still needs to use CVT correct?

I believe you would just need to use the standard FORMAT command, since it supports both the /A:size and the /FS:filesystem parameters. The /A: switch overrides the default allocation unit size, and since NTFS supports 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 16K, 32K, and 64K (and you've set up your array using a 16K stripe)...I would suggest using the /A:16K parameter. If for example you wanted to format using an 8K cluster size...you would add the /A:8192 switch, using a single drive as opposed to two drives in an array. As you already know, file compression is unavailable when any cluster size above 4K is used. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks Man:beer: I'm sure other members will start to play with these parameters when they do a reinstall & will actually see some performance gains.

Back