• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Annoying problem with M.2 Booting in windows 10 and bios resetting.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kbanny

So I just got an msi z370 Gaming Plus (8600k) and an Samsung 960 Pro 512 m.2 drive.

Well I go to install windows 10 from a thumb drive and find it doesn't want to install to the m.2 drive. So I look around in bios and changed it to Windows 10 WHQL it worked. (ACHI was already on out of habit)
So I get to the point where Windows reboots and it hangs and says it can not boot. I go back into the bios and see that my ACHI setting had changed to Raid/Optane. After reverting that, voila it boots as expected and I think nothing more of it.

I start installing all my drivers, standard software and windows updates after which I have to restart. Bam windows won't boot again, the setting has been changed AGAIN. This is not OC'd yet and no other settings are changing so it's not the bios defaulting, unless it can default a single setting now.

I'm creating a restore point because I'm sure at some point it's going to actually try to boot when I'm not around and it will corrupt the install and I'll be forced to reinstall everything.

PLEASE tell me I'm missing something that is simple. I've updated ALL the drivers to the newest for mobo/soundcard/network/everything. Even flashed the bios to the newest version.

Also glad to be back :D

Last edited:
are you saving the change when exiting the bios?

Yes. Every setting I change stays the same except that one. I honestly think it's windows changing it somehow, but I didn't think windows could interact with BIOS settings in any way. It has been a while though.

OK A WORK AROUND AS i'M NOT SURE WHATS UP MAY BE A BAD BIOS WHICH IS HOW i'M LEANING. Damn caps lock Anyways when in windows install the raid drivers. This in theory should allow it to boot no matter what setting its on. I know not a fix but will save some headaches.

OK A WORK AROUND AS i'M NOT SURE WHATS UP MAY BE A BAD BIOS WHICH IS HOW i'M LEANING. Damn caps lock Anyways when in windows install the raid drivers. This in theory should allow it to boot no matter what setting its on. I know not a fix but will save some headaches.

Tried it, it won't boot in that mode. The setting resets every other reboot. What I mean is I change it and it reboots and keeps the setting, but the next reboot it switches to raid/optane from AHCI.

Appreciate the suggestion though.

Right but with the raid drivers installed I’d think it would boot on either setting. Because both achi and raid need drivers for boot achi drivers come with windows while raid drivers need to be installed when installing windows. I run an m.2 raid for my boot drive.

Have you tried a different or newer bios?? Sure seems like a bios error to me

Right but with the raid drivers installed I’d think it would boot on either setting. Because both achi and raid need drivers for boot achi drivers come with windows while raid drivers need to be installed when installing windows. I run an m.2 raid for my boot drive.

Have you tried a different or newer bios?? Sure seems like a bios error to me

I just said it didn't boot and in the original post I said I tried 2 different bios. Well actually I said I even updated the bios, but the board is 2 months old so there's only 2 versions and both have the same results, the newer one allowed for XMP profile though.

Understood was just extrapolating. Please don’t bite the hand of those trying to help. I did miss the part of updating bios my apologies. At this point I’d contact the manufacturer and see what assistance they can offer. Cause I still think it’s a bios issue.

Do you have more than one m.2 slot that you could try the drive in to see if it still happens ?

Understood was just extrapolating. Please don’t bite the hand of those trying to help. I did miss the part of updating bios my apologies. At this point I’d contact the manufacturer and see what assistance they can offer. Cause I still think it’s a bios issue.

Yeah, I'm certain it's bios. It's far to unlikely to be the m.2 slot having some problem but still allowing full speed.

Do you have more than one m.2 slot that you could try the drive in to see if it still happens ?

I do not, the board only has one. :(

Back