• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Threadripper 1950X Editing PC - Multiple weird issues - Help appreciated

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Duffbeer1984

Since the build of my new editing PC i encountered multiple weird problems. I need this pc for my work, so the last days have been super frustrating. I sit on a ton of work and can't continue properly before i get these problems fixed. Thx a lot in case anyone wants to help.

Here are the speccs: Gigabyte X399 Gaming Aurora, Threadripper 1950X, 64 GB Kingston Hyper X RAM, Geforce 1080 Amp Extreme from Zotac, Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 1000 powersupply, 2 * M.2 SSD's from Samsung, Windows 10 64 Bit Pro

The CPU is watercooled with The Liqtec TR4 from Enermax. Temps in windows (under energy saving mode) when the cpu idles, is around 30 degrees. Under load it goes to something like 60~.

You might wonder at this point why i run this pc in energy saving mode. Well, thats because any other profile makes the CPU run with full clockspeeds at all times which not only sounds very unhealthy but also leads to the CPU throttling somewhat at around 68 degrees which it reaches quite fast under full load. The Prozessor never goes in idle mode even though it is set in the bios. I have to run "energy saving mode" in windows to get the cpu to actually clock down. If i set any other Profile mode like the custom one from Ryzen it runs with full force and around 1.440 vcore at all times which shouldn't be the case. (right?)

And thats the other thing that doesnt look right to me, the core voltage does weird things. It's set to 1.220 by default in Bios but in reality reaches up to 1.440 in Bios and windows (tested with CPUID),

I figured that this would be a bios problem maybe and wanted to update it. However, if you download the F3 Bios for the Aurora Gaming motherboard and execute it,

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X399-AORUS-Gaming-7-rev-10#support-dl

all windows tells you is "This software can't be executed on this system, contact your software distributor to get the right version". Since there is no other version available for download, it's becoming an issue.

How do i get the F3 Bios installed? Is there a chance that it would it fix any of my issues? If yes, a quick guide on how to install this would be appreciated as well.

The last thing is that i have an unknown device in my device manager, even after installing all the drivers. It's not something major because sound, lan and everything else works, but it would be nice to figure out what this device actually is. Windows names the device "ROOT\HIDCLASS\0000". A google search brought up wireless lan as a potential problem source but since i already installed the intel wifi software from gigabyte driver site, thats ' also not the device that i am looking for.

All of this wouldn't be that much of a big deal, but when i am in energy saving mode, the pc doesnt perform right and premiere pro stutters. I invested around 4000 Euro in this rig, so thats not a real option, i invested this money so i wouldn't have to worry about such things.

Thx in advance for the help!

Try updating your bios from the bios, not windows (always do it this way if possible). See manual for instructions.

Successfully upgraded to the latest bios now but not much has changed. Balanced energy mode seems to clock down now aswell though. The Idle temps in balanced mode are around 32 degree @ 0.850 core voltage and 2200 mhz on all 16 cores. Under load it hops to 1,480 core voltage and 3.6ghz. Is this normal? This happens even when doing the slightest tasks like opening a folder in the explorer.

The custom Ryzen energy mode still goes nuts though, instantly pumps the cpu to 3.9 - 4 ghz as soon as its set, no matter what, even if it sits in windows with zero tasks applied.

I downloaded ryzen master and set everything to creator mode. Thought that would have an affect maybe, but not really.

When i bench my computer another weird thing happens that i just noticed now. In CPUID there exists a CPU stresstest, when i click it, all cores go to 100% and my mouse has a different feel while moving, almost like there's some strange smoothing or mouse acceleration applied. This happens exactly when the temperature goes above 68 degree which i have also heard is the limit where the threadripper throttles it'sself down.

I am just wondering, is any of this normal and should i stop worrying or does any of this sound like a serious issue to you guys? The performance is somewhat nice now, but i never had a cpu affect my mouse while under a benchmark. Also the core voltage seems quite high to me, but maybe thats completely normal aswell.

First time amd and threadripper user, sry for my lack of knowledge. Please let me know your thoughts.

Last edited:
Maybe i am just overthinking this, but would it help to disable core performance boost on uefi maybe to stabilize the core voltage?

I'd suggest using the Ryzen optimized power setting. What case are you using, where are the fans located in it, and what direction do they move air?
I'm expecting you're not getting good enough case airflow. Also, what are your ambient temps?

I am using a Dark Base Pro 900. The enermax liquid cooling unit shoud be installed properly and pushes air out of the case. The air that gets pushed out is not even warm. My ambient temps are ~ 25 degrees.

If the air that's coming out of the radiator isn't at least warm then you aren't removing heat from the CPU well.
Where is the liquid cooler mounted in the case? Which direction is the air blowing from it?
What thermal paste did you use? How much of it?
What fans are in the Dark Base Pro 900 besides the liquid cooler? Which direction are the fans in each location blowing? Please be detailed here.

In post #1 OP said his load temps are around 60c so I do't think temps are an issue here.

The Dark Base pro has 3 preinstalled 140 mm SilentWings, all of them suck in air from the front and blow it out at the end. Made sense to me so i didn't touch on that.

1110411_2__8728621-2.jpg

I did use a bigger blob of thermal paste right in the center (I even watched videos before to see which application of thermal paste would perform the best and this one was ahead in the tests)
I used the thermal paste that came with the liquid cooling system from enermax and i used all of it, it's a pretty big chip after all, seemed appropriate, to me it looked like the amount the guy was using that did the tests in his testvideo on youtube.

The cooler is mounted just like in this pic (not my pc, just took this picture for reference), but with a small difference. The Fans are not under the radiator but above it and turned upside down. This was necessary because there was not enough room for both the fans plus the radiator.

system.jpg

So when you look inside of the pc, you only see the radiator and the fans are like hidden underneath the external paneling above.

Sounds like the fan situation is good. I'd get some thermal paste and re-mount the water block. If you have excess running off the edges, that means you used too much. If it doesn't quite reach the edges, you used too little.
You could also try setting the CPU core voltage manually at 1.35V or so and see how your system stability responds.

Trents, I believe that board adds the +27°C temperature offset to the load temperatures, but I'm not certain of that.

Also, with large wc radiators, I never feel the air coming off the radiator to be very warm. There seems to be just a very small hike over ambient, even when everything is working properly. That's my experience.

You might wonder at this point why i run this pc in energy saving mode. Well, thats because any other profile makes the CPU run with full clockspeeds at all times which not only sounds very unhealthy but also leads to the CPU throttling somewhat at around 68 degrees which it reaches quite fast under full load. The Prozessor never goes in idle mode even though it is set in the bios. I have to run "energy saving mode" in windows to get the cpu to actually clock down. If i set any other Profile mode like the custom one from Ryzen it runs with full force and around 1.440 vcore at all times which shouldn't be the case. (right?)

And thats the other thing that doesnt look right to me, the core voltage does weird things. It's set to 1.220 by default in Bios but in reality reaches up to 1.440 in Bios and windows (tested with CPUID)

Ok, for 1. It will not hurt the CPU to run at 3.4 GHZ all the time, also if your getting to 68c then your cooling system is not cooling very well at stock speed. I run FX-8350 at 4 GHZ and i7 6800K 24/7, just need good cooling.
2. As I don't have a Ryzen AM4 or sTR4 system I can't tell you much but I do know to turn off the turbo.

Back