• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question about dragon orb's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sabwafare2001

Registered
Are these good coolers? I have the one with the aluminum base, 7000rpm. Also I don't overclock and it does not matter if it is noisey. I just wanted to get a HSF in the $10.00 to $22.00 range. I have an Athlon Xp1800+.

Last edited:
well they aint terrible but they aint great either, but if your not gonna overclock dont worry about it if the fan doesnt bother you

7k is loud....anoyingly loud, I was willing to spend 150 bucks to goto watercooling to avoid the noise of my old 7k rpm fan...well that and better temps but mainly i wanted quiet! an AX7 with fan can be had for like 35 w/o shipping...

i have the Dragon Orb 3 (the one with a pound of copper for the base) and it runs pretty well. so far i've ocerclocked my XP1600 to 1.48Ghz and it's staying at 39-40C under load.
i origanlly bought it to overclock my old Duron (750Mhz @ 1.1Ghz) but it works well with the new proc until i can get a better HSF

They aren't the absolute bottom of the barrel, Antec grabs that honor, but they aren't exactly the typical midrange cooler either. They're close enough to be the worst that I wouldn't touch them :eh?:

10$ - $22 range. I have a better cooler suggestion for ya :

Dr. Thermal TI-V77L 3800 RPM fan - $18.00
Dr. Thermal TI-V77N 5000 RPM fan - $19.00

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=62&manufactory=1488&DEPA=1

These really are great performing HSF. I would HIGHLY recommend getting the 3800RPM model for lower noise. I use the TI-V77N (fans runs at 5400RPM) and sound is loud enough to be anoying. Also, these HSFs have A+ mounting hardware. Here are 2 reviews of both units.

TI-V77L
TI-V77N

Back