• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Boot Linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

heezer7

Ok i have been running windoze for ever. i am ready to move half way into the linux world for the first time on my main machine. i have put it on old 200mhz and stuff in the past but it was worthless. i have a 40 gb and 80 gb HD. i am going to make about 20 of the 40 free for linux. what is a good distro the is easy to start out with and already supports dual procressors. i don't know if they all do or if you have to get a different kernal. and i link would be nice if possible so i have the same thing. ok next can i just install it since i already have a good w2k install or do i have to install it first? boot manager? i have only done dual boot with 2 windoze versions. ME and 2kPro. ok that is enought to start with. sorry for all the newbe linux questions. now get me hooked.

htt://www.suse.com - suse is a good newbie distro which has some serious firepower under the hood. As for the bootloader, I am assuming you are installing linux on the non-boot disk. Just install LILO on the drive with windows and set it up to boot either windows or linux. Come back here for more instructions on how to do that when you get started.

I would also suggest SuSE Linux. Just clear a space for it, and the install program will make the partitions and install the bootloader. Simple.

"Have a lot of fun..."

David

Back