• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maybe I'm just being paranoid...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Illah

I just got a new 1600 (AGOIA Y!) and I installed it. No problems there. Now, I slightly re-lapped my heatsink and all, used the thinnest layer of AS3 I've ever used, and put it on.

My old 1800 ran at 1722 @ 1.92 V with loads of 44-46.

With this I was testing at 1850 at 1.85 V and I saw it hit 51-52 C! I know upping frequency ups temps but ususally it's very minor compared to upping vcore, and with a .75 V lower vcore it should have compensated for any temp increases caused by upping the frequency. Needless to say Prime95 crashed.

Now, since I used a super thin AS3 layer you think it just needs to settle? I HIGHLY doubt I put my HSF on wrong. Like the topic says maybe I'm just being paranoid.

--Illah

I think it's the AS3 settle-in. I'm now at 1722 @ 1.825 V just to test my theory, and I'm idling at 41-ish. I used to run 1640 @ 1.825 and the idles were 39-40, so this is kinda consistent with that. Now the loads still shoot up to about 50 whenever I prime it so I'm thinking that it just needs to settle. Everythings fine until it hits 49-50, then its a crash.

If the situation doesn't improve in a day or so I'll reinstall the sink. I used a VERY thin layer of AS3, now I'm worried it was too thin. Then again with lapped sinks it's supposed to be almost translucent. With my normal not-as-thin layer I usually improved only 1-2 C during the settle in, hopefully their claims of a 5 C drop prove true with the super thin layer (they'd better).

--Illah

Ambient temperatures tend to be a confounding factor in situations like this. Have you checked for variations?

Yeah, it was warmer earlier today with my old 1800 (my apartment gets blasted by the sun for five hours a day). I'm not sure what the problem is, maybe my vmod. I put the chip in and it was instantly overvolted. I took that out and put everything to stock and I'm prime95ing it just to make sure it's not screwed up. I'm gonna let it run stock for a day or so till the AS3 settles and see how I go from there.

--Illah

Back